Midwest Penturners Gathering Announcement - 2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Those who have "been around" long enough will remember Cozee (Greg Cozad) starting the Midwest Penturners Gathering (MPG) about a decade ago in Urbana, Illinois. After four years, Low48 (Rich Coers) continued the tradition in a super-human single-handed presentation for another four years. Then, the Ohio IAP contingent volunteered and the event was moved to Wadsworth Ohio for the last four years. The event has seen tremendous growth over all these years. From a few hours at a union hall to a three day event in a fantastic hotel. Great demonstrations, vendors, and new activities. Most importantly great friendships, conversations, and sharing of ideas.

Now is the time to take the next step. Starting next year the Midwest Pen Turners Gathering will rotate host cities to better serve the pen turning community. We are considering a three city rotation. The first new location up is Chicagoland. Look for dates and times to be announced over the next few weeks. Chicago offers a nice central location for many turning clubs and will be ready to continue the direction the founders have started. The thought is that each city will have its local club facilitate the event, but keep in coordination with the other host cities to maintain consistency.

The nucleus of the Chicago team is Ed Brown, John Underhill, and Mark Dreyer, but we know we will be asking for volunteers to help out. If you have any suggestions or would like to volunteer let any of us know – the earlier the better. We look forward to keeping the quality of the event that the teams in front of us have started.

I think this will be great for the pen turning community and offer more opportunity for all of us to get together and get involved. See you in Chicago.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This is a great opportunity for those who cant travel the distance to take advantage of a gathering near them. I'm looking forward to meeting new members and reciprocate the hospitality the Ohio family has shown us. Thanks again guys!

Better have Authentic Deep Dish Chicago Pizza!!! We served Gourmet Mid-Ohio Standard Good-For-The-Town Great Variety Plenty-For Everyone Pizza! :rotfl:

It sure is nice being able to poke you guys!~ :rolleyes:

jdmacdo

Chicago!

After making the trek from Iowa two of the last three years, I am excited to see the next one happening a little closer to home.

I'm not sure what I can do from 4 hours away, but let me know what I can do to help. I am thinking that next year, instead of thread rapping pens, I may be ready to show how to do thread weaves (full pictures) at the show.

Thank you Mark, John, and Ed for stepping up to lead the next event!

chartle

Better have Authentic Deep Dish Chicago Pizza!!! We served Gourmet Mid-Ohio Standard Good-For-The-Town Great Variety Plenty-For Everyone Pizza! :rotfl:

It sure is nice being able to poke you guys!~ :rolleyes:

Pizza!

tumblr_mjdibe35TR1s3h2s8o2_r1_250.gif

mg_dreyer

Mark (James)

I agree. I think the rotation will help those who come and those who put it on. I also agree with John - we need to reciprocate the hospitality. I also see this growing as we expose more people to the group. One of the best parts of the symposium is making new friends and sharing ideas.

JohnU

This year was my first MPG and all I can say is Thank you it was truly a blast and look forward to doing these events for a long time. I look forward to helping out to make next years MPG as good as this one was.

Chris I really enjoyed your demo and look forward to working with you for next years. Sounds like we're going to need a meeting just to discuss pizza and kringles. Oh yea, and cheese curds. lol

Last edited:

Chris Labedz

This year was my first MPG and all I can say is Thank you it was truly a blast and look forward to doing these events for a long time. I look forward to helping out to make next years MPG as good as this one was.

Chris I really enjoyed your demo and look forward to working with you for next years. Sounds like we're going to need a meeting just to discuss pizza and kringles. Oh yea, and cheese curds. lol

Thank you if the committee needs some where to meet my house is open I believe I'm in the middle of you and Mark (Channahon) just let me know here to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom