Micro Mesh Sheets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I feel like maybe there's something I don't know here.
"Why sheets and not pads?"

Individual preference - for me. I have different kinds of pads and do use them occasionally, however I like the sheets because I can "feel" the blank as I'm sanding it.

NVSB4

I used to get full size sheets 6 x 12 at International Violin but don't see them there anymore. Anyway, here is their link:

https://www.internationalviolin.com/ProductDetail/10540_woodworkers-kit-micro-mesh

And here is another place - with full size sheets:

Micro-Mesh Sheets

Also with the same company: Micro-Mesh® Sheet Kits

As I put before, I use Klingspor for most of my abrasive needs, but these two places have really great prices on Micro-Mesh anyway. I'll have to check them out the next time I need some.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

Like Hank said, I like being able to feel the blank better with the sheets than with the pads - also they are more flexible & much cheaper on a per sq in basis.

I cut mine into strips, generally about 1"x3" and I keep two sets handy - one for wet sanding & one for dry.

I started with a set of pads 5 years ago & discovered the sheets about the time my pads wore out. I've only used up about half of my first set of 6x12 sheets so far.

sbwertz

I use them at the blind center because they can fold the thin sheet around the blank and grasp it with thumb and finger. They can feel the heat and are less likely to burn through the grit and leave marks on the blank from the backing. By the way, if you DO burn through and get the grey/blue plastic streaks on your blank, denatured alcohol takes them right off.

odexyn

I use them at the blind center because they can fold the thin sheet around the blank and grasp it with thumb and finger. They can feel the heat and are less likely to burn through the grit and leave marks on the blank from the backing. By the way, if you DO burn through and get the grey/blue plastic streaks on your blank, denatured alcohol takes them right off.

Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

larryc

Like Hank said, I like being able to feel the blank better with the sheets than with the pads - also they are more flexible & much cheaper on a per sq in basis.

I cut mine into strips, generally about 1"x3" and I keep two sets handy - one for wet sanding & one for dry.

I started with a set of pads 5 years ago & discovered the sheets about the time my pads wore out. I've only used up about half of my first set of 6x12 sheets so far.

Thanks. I'll have to give them a try

Top Bottom