Micro Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Looking for a small saw which one would you buy and why , Byrnes or the Micro Mark?

Charlie

I have the Byrnes and love it. BUT, if the Micro Mark has a true 1" blade height, that would be nice - the Byrnes is 15/16". The tilting arbor is also a strong plus for the Micro Mark.

This link has a nice comparison. http://www.toolerant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/micro-table-saw-table1.jpg

Full Review: http://www.toolerant.com/small-table-saws-for-the-model-maker-woodworker-and-weekend-builder/

Last edited:

gtriever

Mark, I think you meant to say tilt arbor. That was a big decider for me in (finally) buying the Micro Mark saw. Byrnes has the tilting table, which in my mind could be a safety issue.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I think you meant to say tilt arbor. That was a big decider for me in (finally) buying the Micro Mark saw. Byrnes has the tilting table, which in my mind could be a safety issue.

Yup! (I corrected, thanks - editors are great). And I don't have the tilting table, but there are ways around that.

TonyL

Hi Mark...which one: the Byrnes or the MM? I still have BS that I haven't opened. LOL

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark...which one: the Byrnes or the MM? I still have BS that I haven't opened. LOL

Hi Tony, My positive comments only pertain to the Byrnes. I have an older model and am perfectly fine with it, even with some shortcomings.

I suspect the Micro Mark is also an excellent machine, with possibly some advantages.

NOTE: Both of these saws are "Model Maker Saws" and are in no way a substitute for a good table saw or band saw for larger cuttings or heavy usage. Having said that, I do mostly small segmented cuttings, and either of these would be fine for this application.

If your BS means a Band Saw, I'd certainly open it and play with it to see if it suits your needs. Having read many of your posts, I also suspect you like "Toys" (I certainly sympathize for that addiction) and have no issue with getting another! But a good band saw - even a table top may satisfy what you need. If you are getting into smaller segmenting, or just want to cut blanks/tubes with a small bench footprint, then either of these will suffice, as would a nice entry level Band Saw.

Mikeyt

I was looking about a year ago between the micro mark or the byrnes table saws and everything I read said the byrnes was by far the best. I bought the byrnes table saw and I am so glad I did. It cuts straight and is a pleasure to use. It is expensive and my not have a tilt arbor but for segmenting or ripping wood it is great. I will rip 1 1/2" olive wood on it with no issues. I rip half of the wood then just turn it over and rip the other side to cut to size have cut down to 1/16" inch thick for book marks. I have ripped thinner pieces of wood on it and it has always been great same thickness from the start to the end.
I am really glad I bought the saw and paid a little extra for such a detailed cutting machine. In fact all the machines available from byrnes are great the thickness sander and the disc sander are very will made and worth every penny spent.

My wife says " Lo barato sale caro" which translates to "the cheap becomes expensive" this has helped me when I want to get a tool I use that saying and she agrees to let me spend a little more. But is very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

If your BS means a Band Saw, I'd certainly open it and play with it to see if it suits your needs. Having read many of your posts, I also suspect you like "Toys" (I certainly sympathize for that addiction) and have no issue with getting another! But a good band saw - even a table top may satisfy what you need. If you are getting into smaller segmenting, or just want to cut blanks/tubes with a small bench footprint, then either of these will suffice, as would a nice entry level Band Saw.

I think that is a good idea. Right now, I am using the box (with the BS still in it) to protect my car from hitting the side of my garage. I think it's time to open it. Today, I wanted to buy a Dyson cordless vacuum, and the Mrs. (of 31 years said no, LOL).

magpens

Tony,

Did you tell the Mrs that the Dyson would be for use in the house and that you would be doing the vacuuming ?? :biggrin::)

Rtibbs

My wife says " Lo barato sale caro" which translates to "the cheap becomes expensive" this has helped me when I want to get a tool I use that saying and she agrees to let me spend a little more. But is very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

In my many years of model building I have had several of the small table saws, Micro Mark, Proxxon, Dremel etc. none can compare to the quality and accuracy of the Byrnes saw. I purchased mine with the extended table, micrometer stop, crosscut sled and just about every accessory he provides.
I also have his disc sander and thickness sander. Both of those are also excellent products, smooth running and accurate.

I only wish I had known about Byrnes before I spent my dollars on inferior products. Ya get what ya pay for. IMHO

Ron

magpens

Ron,

Thanks for sharing. . It is good to know your experience and be able to benefit from it. . Your assessment means a lot.

Top Bottom