Mico Mesh for headlight lens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Don't know whether this is a fair question, but it seems to me that I should be able to clear up my car's headlight lens with a bit of work with micro mesh and plastic polish.

Anybody tried this? Thought you might have for a suitable lapping compound? Should I just do this like I do for acrylic pens or pens with a CA finish? Do I start with 400 or 600 sandpaper? I have a used set of micro mesh that I don't mind using up if it will work.

I look forward to having you folks keep me from making a horrible mistake here! Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
It might work, depending on how crazed they are. It will probably take quite a bit of work also.
I sand with 220 grit, and then 400 grit wet, all in a circular motion to prevent a graining effect. Then I go to the buffing wheels. They come out absolutely clear. It takes about 10 minutes per light but, with this method, the lights need to be removed.
There are commercial products available, although I haven't tried any of them.

lorbay

I scratched one of my tail lights last year and it was so deep I had to power sand it starting with 120g and worked my way up to 600g and then went to MM wet with a bit of dish soap as Curly said and you cannot tell any difference from the original. The only thing you can tell is the feel where I had to sand out the scratch.
Lin

Warren White

No 'before' picture....

and there should have been, but here is an 'after' picture.

Used Micro Mesh all through the grits, with water and a bit of dish soap. Following that, used some Craftics plastic polish and then a sealer, which was part of a kit I used earlier without much success.

I am pleased with the outcome, but only time will tell if it lasts.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 144

leehljp

Member Liaison
Micro mesh was developed decades ago for polishing scratches out of airplane and helicopter windows. It will work fine for your headlights. Use water and a few drops of dish soap to lubricate.

RE-quoting what Curly said!

There was a thread on IAP about 12 -14 years ago about bell helicopter using MM for getting the scratches out of and polishing the helicopter windows/windshields.

sbwertz

I have a set of micromesh disks for a disk sander. I think I will give them a try on my old truck's headlights. I've had those disks forever and can't even remember what I bought them for years ago. They fit my random-orbital palm sander.

Last edited:

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
For $20.00, your typical parts store sells McGuiars Headlight resto kit. It's the best out there. Comes with micromesh pads for the drill and an attachment. Takes about an hour per headlight. But works better than anything else on the market

Top Bottom