Metal Lathe instruction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

I am wanting to pick up a metal lathe. The only real thing stopping me is that I don't have a clue how to use one, get the best use from one, etc, etc.

How did you learn? Trial and error? I'm afraid that won't work for me as I have never seen one used and really don't have a clue exactly the full range of things it can do. I don't even know what accessries to buy.

Did you learn by DVD? If so, do you remember the name?

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

I don't what sort of metal lathe you are going to buy, but if you are looking at the 7x12 (or 7x14) or indeed the 9x20, then this site is a goldmine of information

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Reviews/Big_dog/bigdog2.htm

This site is very good for setting up and modifying the 7x12 mini lathe

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/index.html

If you want a female perspective on machining, this site might do that for you

http://wrlabs.shacknet.nu/~vw/MyMachineShop/

There is also a good teaching manual available for download, when I find the link I will put it here as well.

Found it:

http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/Lathe-Tutorial.pdf

randyrls

Originally posted by rlharding

I am wanting to pick up a metal lathe. The only real thing stopping me is that I don't have a clue how to use one, get the best use from one, etc, etc.

Ruth; I use a 9x20 metal lathe for my pens, making fittings, and bushings. There are two general classes of metal lathes. Industrial and home-machine-shop. You are looking at a HMS lathe. Understand that the mind-set is entirely different from wood to metal lathes, and most chucks are not interchangeable!

If you are considering a metal lathe, visit some of the metal lathe groups on YAHOO. 7x10minilathe and 9x20lathe are two of the better ones.

Differences:
Wood lathes are intended to be used with hand-held cutting tools and have a tool-rest.
Metal lathes have a tool-post to rigidly hold the tool and dials calibrated in thousanths of an inch or .001mm (if your area is metric). Turning the knobs advances the tool by a definite amount. They usually have an auto-feed which moves the tool from side to side. 7x lathes come with variable speed. Metal lathes are commonly used to create precisely sized parts and threaded parts.

Smartflix has many DVD's on metal working.
http://www.smartflix.com

I retrospect, if I knew then what I know now, I would not have gotten a metal lathe, or thought a lot more about it.

Hope this helps.....

rlharding

Thanks guys. Some good info on the sites and I will spend some time learning what I can from them. Randy, can you tell me why in hindsight you would not have gone for a metal lathe? You can pm me if you prefer.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Ruth - along with all this good reading, I would try to find someone that has one of these so you can see it in operation. I did all the reading and got a DVD from LMS but a few minutes with an IAP friend is what really convinced me to go ahead. I wound up with a Cummins 7 x 12 and couldn't be happier. I make all of my pens on it now, have worked with steel, aluminum, antler, PR, ivory, and many kinds of wood. In addition to pens, I have made bushings from steel and Delrin, made pin chucks and bottle stoppers. Some will argue that bigger is better. IMO, its the same argument as a Jet mini versus larger Powermatic for wood. Many a good looking pen has been turned on Jet mini. It won't do a huge bowl, but if you're staying small, the smaller ones do get the job done and are easy to learn on.

randyrls

Originally posted by rlharding

Thanks guys. Some good info on the sites and I will spend some time learning what I can from them. Randy, can you tell me why in hindsight you would not have gone for a metal lathe? You can pm me if you prefer.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Ruth; I would have gotten the variable speed 7x size instead of the 9x20 size which doesn't come with VS.

As I said the mind-set is entirely different. A metal lathe is designed to turn relatively slowly (50-500 RPM; max 2000 RPM) against great resistance without flexing, and setting up the tool post is much more complicated to set up than a wood lathe. I've tried to use the tool post for turning pens, but the surface result was always poorer than my trusty skew. I may try again though.

A friend in one of the metal working groups got instruction at a machine shop by offering to sweep the floor in exchange for machining lessons. See if there is a vo-tech school that offers classes.

The DVD's at smartflix are rented at $10 per week, total cost.

rlharding

Just wanted you all to know I am still ploughing my way through the several links that were provided. Lot's of great information; the video link look fabulous - and they send to Canada.

Thanks again everyone. I will gain some knowledge with this follow-up that will help me choose the metal lathe for me. I will let you know what I get when I get one.

best,

rherrell

Ruth, take a look at this one...http://tinyurl.com/ayj64
I've got one and couldn't be happier. It's a 14" which REALLY comes in handy, especially for drilling. They all need some tweaking so be prepared to take it apart and spend a few hours getting to know your machine, it's worth it.
Print out EVERYTHING there is on MiniLathe.com. It's a GREAT website and will explain in detail the tweaking I mentioned.
GOOD LUCK!!:D

Top Bottom