MEMORIES..............

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Building a memory!<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Not all memorieshappen when we are children. Some happenmuch later in life and are cherished even more. Last week I spent a day with my mentor, Ray. He builds turning tools besides otherthings. We had talked and I asked him totake me through the steps of building a carbide cutting turning tool. We took our time and I would like to share mythoughts about this.<o:p></o:p>

To start, I am a "hands-on"kind of learner. Show me and then let medo the work myself, is the best way for me to learn. Sometimes you have to show me several timesbut that is just me. I learn from mymistakes.<o:p></o:p>

Ray and I started withseveral piece of steel cut to length (12") and he took all but one and showedme how he built his tools. His were 1/2"thick while mine was 3/8". I wanted athinner bar. We cut, drilled and tappedthe end. Then he showed me how he putthe bend into them. Once he had hisbended, I did what I wanted for a bend. We then set to rounding the bottom edge under the cutter to give somerelief for ease of cutting.<o:p></o:p>

My tool was design touse a round cutter for hollowing out vases and smaller vessels. All the whilewe were working. I could see the 'love'of building in Rays eyes. Could 'hear'the pride he put, in his work. And could'see' the care he built into his tools. The steps he explain, showed me that there is more to the thoughtprocess then "Just do it!". Each littlepart had a reason and that once explained, all came together to make somethingreally wonderful.<o:p></o:p>

Ray then put a 'handleblank' on one of his lathes and said "Make the handle." I turned it round and then reached over toone of Ray's private tools……picking out a handle design that I liked. I laided it down on the other side of thelathe and did my best to copy the design for my hand. I still kept it my own with different burningmarks. Ray then showed me how he "drives"the handle on without glue. That way itcan be replaced much easier, if need be.<o:p></o:p>

It might have been ashort afternoon of a couple of hours. Itmight have been just sharing some time with a friend. It might have been just a couple of 'old' menlaughing. But for me, the memory that hegave me is priceless. I may forget otherthings….but I won't forget that afternoon.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Thank you to all whohave read this. And to all my friendshere at the IAP that have helped me "build the memories".<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Attachments

• 20180304_163235[1].jpg
    20180304_163235[1].jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20180304_163229[1].jpg
    20180304_163229[1].jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20180304_163216[1].jpg
    20180304_163216[1].jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20180304_163209[1].jpg
    20180304_163209[1].jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Thank you for this, Wayne !

Memories like that can be, and indeed are being, made every day here on IAP !!!

I appreciate my friends here more every day !! . Have you noticed I stay permanently logged in ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I suspect that tool will be cherished! Well done. And sometimes the process is as important as the product. No matter what you did that afternoon, the time spent will be a great memory.

magpens

Haha ... you are right, Pete ... I didn't think of saying it, but, trust me, I did actually KNOW it !!!!

It is hard for a slow wit like mine to keep up to yours !!! Of course, you are MUCH younger !!

Constructive criticism, offered in the spirit of helping not to put down. You're just envious that I knew it and you didn't. ;)

Top Bottom