Memorial Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

This is something my brother wrote this week. I thought it was very touching and fitting for Memorial Day.

For many, Memorial Day is the big kickoff event to summer and a time forgrilling out and taking a day off of work. These activities are great, butlet's not forget the reason for Memorial Day while we enjoy ourselves. For me,Memorial Day is always tempered with a little sadness as I think of friendsI've lost and the great price our nation has to continually pay for ourfreedoms. Memorial Day is not the same as Veteran's Day but I can'thelp but think of my friends who are still in service including several who arecurrently deployed.

If you have never read the United States Armed Services oaths, I will sharethem below. One is for enlisted and the other for officers. I wasfortunate to have sworn in with both oaths and I also have sworn in many othersoldiers. "Swearing in" is a solemn but exciting time forthose who have done it.

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defendthe Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign anddomestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that Iwill obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders ofthe officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Codeof Military Justice. So help me God."

"I, _____, having been appointed an officer in the (military branch) ofthe United States, as indicated above in the grade of ___ do solemnly swear (oraffirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United Statesagainst all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegianceto the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservationor purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the dutiesof the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

This Memorial Day I hope you join me inremembering and honoring the fallen. If you are the curious type,search the internet and learn more about the history of Memorial Day(originally called Decoration Day).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Necessary-War-December-1941-1942/dp/B002W63LWE

I watched it around this time last year on Netflix or Roku. This country was almost no more. I was shocked by what I learned from this documentary - not only by the foreign battles, but by Americans against Americans (barely 3 generations after the Civil War). Our memories are sadly short. We truly live in an imperfect, but still amazing country. That's my opinion any way.

Last edited:

tbroye

Growing up in Sacramento CA I had a lot of Japanese friends and coworkers. One day I realize that the kids I was in school with were all born in internment caps, They would never talk about it until later a good friend and his mom and I sat down and the explained it to me. My wife and I when we travel in CA and in Washington have visited some of the camps and other facilities and it is really an eye opener. This summer when the 4 oldest Grand Kids are all here we are taking over to south of Bishop CA to the Manzamar interment camp that has be partially restored so they can see what it was all about. We would also like to take them to DC and Arlington and the Wall young people need to understand what this country went through for their freedom.

In June we went to visit our Oldest son and his wife in England who both being in the AF we stationed at RAF Chicksands. The weekend after the 50th Anniversary of D Day went over to the US Cemetery at Cambridge It was very sobering to visit those grave and explaining to both our Sons that the young men buried there were their age and were the reason they have what they have. We spent 2 hours walk through the Cemetery and the boy stopped at many graves and my oldest came to attention and saluted each grave he visited. It would be nice if all kids as part of their history classes were shown this things maybe they would have a better appreciation of our Country and what they have. God Bless America and the people who have are and will serve our country.

Top Bottom