Member Map - NEED YOUR HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Done and looking forward to seeing my location. I feel like the "Jerk" when he finds his name in the phonebook :). Thank you Jeff!

Sabaharr

OK I entered the info where you said but it told me I didn't have any subscribed threads. Was that all I needed to do. Getting less computer literate every day.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just regenerated the map. We have 350 markers on it now, so to speed up the load time and unclutter it a little, I turned on clustering. So you see balloons with a number indicating how many markers are in that vicinity. Those turn to the individual markers as you zoom in.

Should I leave clustering on or turn it off?

D.Oliver

I like it "on" otherwise my state is just too jumbled up. When I looked at the map before it displayed our screen names. Now it displays our real names. What's the reasoning behind that?

stonepecker

My personal is to take it off.

First, it is showing our 'real names' and that wouldn't be what I would be looking for on the map.
Second, the number is wrong where I am at.

If those two 'problems' can be fixed, Then I have no problem with it.
We don't need to post the real names. If we wanted that, then we would have put that in our profiles for everyone to see.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I like it "on" otherwise my state is just too jumbled up. When I looked at the map before it displayed our screen names. Now it displays our real names. What's the reasoning behind that?

That the complex technological problem called cockpit error. I selected the wrong field for the index. That's fixed now and thanks for pointing it out!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
My personal is to take it off.

First, it is showing our 'real names' and that wouldn't be what I would be looking for on the map.
Second, the number is wrong where I am at.

If those two 'problems' can be fixed, Then I have no problem with it.
We don't need to post the real names. If we wanted that, then we would have put that in our profiles for everyone to see.

The real name problem was an error on my part during the last upload.

As far as the number of individual markers that contribute to the cluster total, I've found it's not exact. It's a "loose" algorithm intended to give a rough order of magnitude of the number of markers in an area. It's real purpose is to unclutter the map when zoomed out. When you zoom to the point where a single state, province, or country outside of the US occupies about 80% of the screen, clustering shuts off. At least it's set to work that way.

I am perfectly happy to turn it off because I have a pretty fast connection so the load time doesn't bother me. I offer it only to provide a more clean look and faster load times.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be regenerating the map this evening. If you want to be on it, you need your Postal Code and your country entered in your User Profile. Scroll to the bottom and enter your Zip or Postal Code, and select your country from the drop down box, then click Save Changes.

ANOTHER NOTE! If you have an "@" sign in your member name, the map software will not generate a pin for you. If you are one of those few with that symbol and you would like me to change your username, send me a PM.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I found that I am the first (and so far only) member in the first state....That and $5.00 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

edicehouse

I have not read the 10 pages of conversation, but is it linked with our IAP accounts? If someone has not logged in in 2 years do they drop off the map? Is there even a way to do that?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have not read the 10 pages of conversation, but is it linked with our IAP accounts? If someone has not logged in in 2 years do they drop off the map? Is there even a way to do that?

It is not a live link. I extract data periodically and upload it to the map.

In order to get on the map, the member has to add their country and postal code to their user profile.

Yes, it's possible for me to not include members who have not logged on within a particular period. Currently, I am including everyone who has added the data to their profile.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be updating the map later tonight. If you're not on there but want to be, scroll to the bottom of your UserCP Edit Details Tab and enter your postal code and country.

As always, suggestions for improving the way the map looks or works are welcome.

TimS124

Very cool map, Jeff. I added my country so some day I'll show up..and I'm moving in the next few weeks so I'll have to update my zip code. So far, the new area has no members showing up so I'll have that chunk of the map all to myself! :biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
When will you have the chapter indicators working? Anybody responding to your request for info there?

There are 3 on there now. I'm just waiting for more responses. I removed the meeting time and place to simplify the marker. I just need the zip and leader's name.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
reddwil is the chair for the Georgia group and the zip for the Woodcraft store we meet at is 30022.

What Gary Said. Do you need the physical address of the Woodcraft??

Nope, zip is sufficient. The link to the leader and chapter forum will get them more info.

I've got Georgia in the database and it'll show up after the next upload. I might do that later tonight.

Thanks!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be updating the map later tonight. If you're not on there, but want to be, scroll to the bottom of your UserCP Edit Details Tab and enter your postal code and country.

Suggestions for improving the way the map looks or works are welcome.

Top Bottom