Member Map - NEED YOUR HELP!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I am making some time to work on the member map. When I originally requested postal codes for those who wanted to be on the map, I neglected to also ask for your country. I have added a field (a drop down) to the user profile for you to choose your country.

WHY, you may ask... well the simple fact is that there are multiple countries which use identical formats for their postal codes. The US and Germany, for example, both use a 5-digit system. Not all ranges overlap, but it's not possible to positively resolve a location without the country.

SO, If you want to be on the map, we need BOTH your postal code and your country!

(PS - UserCP --> Edit Details, scroll to the bottom. THIS LINK should work.)

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
OK, HERE is the first iteration. A few comments:

The ad at the bottom will eventually go away. Once I get the map set up, I'll purchase the no-ads option for it.

The map doesn't like @ signs in the primary marker tag, which in our case is the member name. There are some members with their email address as their username (bad idea anyway...) which will not show up. I can change those usernames if desired.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Note that the map is not dynamically generated. That is, it doesn't pull from our database every time the page is rendered. There are technical reasons for that which I'd be happy to discuss, but the message is that I will be regenerating the map on some regular basis, eventually probably weekly.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great Jeff, but it sure is going to get a little crowded in some places!!
Gordon

I know. I turned on "clustering" which just shows the number of pins in that area until you zoom in (by clicking on the number). I kind of like that because it unclutters the map and makes it render a little faster.

What say you all?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The current map has only 108 pins. Over 1200 have entered their postal code, so as soon as those go back and enter their country, we'll get more pins up. I'll update frequently for a while.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Gordon

I know. I turned on "clustering" which just shows the number of pins in that area until you zoom in (by clicking on the number). I kind of like that because it unclutters the map and makes it render a little faster.

What say you all?

Looks Great!! zoom in and you can definately find people close to you... I like it a lot (updated my sig to point to this thread!)

Mr Vic

Really disappointed Jeff. Don't see my country. I have a Colorado ZIP Code... Colorado is Gods Country.

Despite what anyone says...You do an AWESOME job...A big thanks...

Country code updated.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gordon

What say you all?

I envision this as a HUGE ADVANTAGE!!! Where there is a cluster, there is a potential chapter!!! We certainly will NOT be putting any pressure on the folks in that area, but if a member or two WANT to start a chapter, their job will be SO MUCH easier-----send a PM to everyone near you and see what they think!! About an hour's work determines who wants to meet and who does NOT.

COOL--GREAT JOB, JEFF!!!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I added display of the member's avatar if they have one loaded.

It really gives a unique view of the IAP world.

140 folks have added their country so I can display those. Almost 1300 people have added their zip code, so once they go back and add the country so I can get them on the map, it will really get interesting.

Thanks everyone for adding your data. It made testing much easier.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
When you see a letter inside the pin instead of a dot, that indicates there are multiple members in the same postal code. When you click on the pin, there will be arrow to scroll through the accounts. If you see "B" there are 2, "C" means 3, etc.

Go to my pin in Cleveland and you'll see my test account "Spinright" and my regular account "jeff" in the same zip.

D.Oliver

Really disappointed Jeff. Don't see my country. I have a Colorado ZIP Code... Colorado is Gods Country.

Despite what anyone says...You do an AWESOME job...A big thanks...

Country code updated.

Wel,l technically, you're two states away from God's country......:biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Well I think that's enough tinkering for tonight. I can add other things to the bubble. I was thinking that the last visit or last post date might be helpful, can also do the post count. Think about it and post here.

Thanks!

bobleibo

Ok, that map thing is seriously cool, except it just shows everyone how lonely it is way over here in the excitement capitol of the world - UTAH. I think I need to move to Texas or Ohio or Florida with all of the cool kids.

Attachments

• flippers.jpg
    flippers.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 98
  • someone called me normal.jpg
    someone called me normal.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 77

CREID

Ok, that map thing is seriously cool, except it just shows everyone how lonely it is way over here in the excitement capitol of the world - UTAH. I think I need to move to Texas or Ohio or Florida with all of the cool kids.
Texas has enough, we need more in Vancouver, WA.
Curt

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I am making some time to work on the member map. When I originally requested postal codes for those who wanted to be on the map, I neglected to also ask for your country. I have added a field (a drop down) to the user profile for you to choose your country.

WHY, you may ask... well the simple fact is that there are multiple countries which use identical formats for their postal codes. The US and Germany, for example, both use a 5-digit system. Not all ranges overlap, but it's not possible to positively resolve a location without the country.

SO, If you want to be on the map, we need BOTH your postal code and your country!

(PS - UserCP --> Edit Details, scroll to the bottom. THIS LINK should work.)
OneLegGimp (Ernie Richardson)
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230
United States of America.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just regenerated the map.

If you would like to appear on the next version of the map, please make sure that both your postal code and your country are set in your user profile. See the first post in this thread for more information.

stonepecker

Jeff.........THANK YOU.......this is going to make it so much easier to see where things are comming from and then give people the time it takes to get the shipping to them.

It is also going to make it so much easier to get the membership together locally. I do believe you need a STAR at Westlake, OH.
Would there be anyway to color code the vendors? That might be a nice addition.

Top Bottom