Meerschaum material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouLeggett

Has anyone used meerschaum (as in the beautifully carved Turkish pipes) for pen making? If so, how did you like it? Is meerschaum something you would recommend for pen turning?:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I for one haven't heard of it. Judging by the number of people reading and not posting, I bet not many people have. Welcome to the forum Lou.

Rudy Vey

I don't think this is a good idea. Meerschaum is a magnesium silicate mineral and as far as I know relatively brittle. It is also often porous. You might be able to turn it into a pen, but drop it once (as my uncle did with his best Meerschaum pipe).

Dario

I though they only use that as liner in the pipe's bowl. It has voids which makes it a good insulator. Maybe it will work if you stabilize it.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I would think turning Meerschaum would be very much like doing soap stone... it would be very brittle, turn like dust and blow up if you look at it crosseyed... of course that does not mean it can't be done... I have a real nice Baron I did in green Italian soapstone... but I am real nervous when someone handles it...

Dario, when I used to smoke a pipe, I had a couple of beautiful hand carved meerschaums... they don't only use it for a liner... of course you pay big bucks for a solid meerschaum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom