Massive Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Check out this massive NZ Red Beech burl. These trees are protected and cannot be cut down. I am not even sure that a native NZ tree that has died naturally can be harvested or cut up. Perhaps one of our Kiwi members can better explanation the restrictions on the use of native New Zealand trees.

43F81466-DCA1-43AC-8C1F-57A3641F887D.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice burl .... maybe .... . You never know until you cut it !!!! :biggrin:

Does that no-cut restriction apply only on NZ soil, or does it apply in the US as well ?

Where is the tree ?

magpens

HaHa, Dan ..... as if you are going to take your GPS and fly to NZ !!!!

I wonder if you would get your chain saw on the plane !

Cwalker935

I studied on the matter for some time and decided that there was no way for me to obtain the burl for some of the following reasons

-it would take several years to cut the tree down with a disposable razor (it would be much quicker with a two man chainsaw)
-it would not fit in the luggage compartment of the tour bus
-I might have difficulty in lifting it and carrying it
-I might tee off a bunch of kiwis and while usually very nice, they are a rugged lot and take this sort of thing very seriously
-assuming I could avoid an angry mob of kiwis, NZ authorities might notice and arrest me at some point in the process,
-it would not fit under the plane seat in front of me, and finally
-I might have trouble smuggling it through customs since it would not fit through the scanner.

Call me wimpy but I chickened out and decided that I could not pull it off.

Timber Ripper

Funny how ever since i started turning and joined the IAP. I've developed this new obsession for Burl.
I can't seem to drive by a wooded area or just a large tree for that matter without looking for Burl's.
Gotta keep my eyes on the road.. This new obsession could be worse that texting while driving.

pshrynk

I studied on the matter for some time and decided that there was no way for me to obtain the burl for some of the following reasons

-it would take several years to cut the tree down with a disposable razor (it would be much quicker with a two man chainsaw)
-I might tee off a bunch of kiwis and while usually very nice, they are a rugged lot and take this sort of thing very seriously
-assuming I could avoid an angry mob of kiwis, NZ authorities might notice and arrest me at some point in the process,
-I might have trouble smuggling it through customs since it would not fit through the scanner.

Well, if you're going to give in to the atmosphere of defeatism...:biggrin:

You would also have to find a good counterfeiter:biggrin: to make up a fake Phyto certificate as customs was getting pretty picky about plant products coming into the US... 'course that was back when I was in the freight business... they may have relaxed a rule or two by now.

Top Bottom