Marcian Masure (or Masur) Birch Burl - Info Please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have a lot of very nice pen blanks. Then I have some truly superior, excellent blanks. Then I have my most treasured stash of incredible, over the top, beyond words to describe, group of blanks. Among these are a few that are the best of this exclusive group. These are labeled "Marcian Masure (or Masur) Birch Burl". I cannot find any background info on this specific burl, and am asking if anyone here can help. (Info on "Masur Birch" is readily available, but that is clearly not the same as this spectacular burl that I have.) My web search provided some photos, but not info.

Does anyone have the background information that I seek? I will greatly appreciate any help here. It is a shame to have this beautiful burl, eventually to be pens, and not have the background info!! :frown::frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Wayne, thanks for the Wood Database link. That is one place already viewed. The timber shown there is much different from my treasured pieces, so I am still looking for some specific information, if available. I have posted the pics so some folks can drool.

Attachments

• Marcian Masur Birch 1.jpg
    Marcian Masur Birch 1.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Marcian Masur Birch 2.jpg
    Marcian Masur Birch 2.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 158

magpens

Oh, MAN !!!!! . Those are beautiful, Steve !!!!! :):):)

Thanks for posting the pics !!!! . Droooooooooooooool !!!!

I can offer you some nice Padauk in trade !!!!!!!

Last edited:

elkhorn

Steve, you're bad!!!!!! Those are beautiful. In the interest of simplifying life, if you'd like to swap them for some nice, plain maple blanks with no figure, I'll be glad to make the sacrifice and help you out:big grin:

All kidding aside, I can't wait to see some of the pens you make from that.

Aloha, my friend!

1080Wayne

That is gorgeous wood !

I only have paper birch and water birch , and have never seen a trunk burl on either . It would be interesting to know if anyone has seen a trunk burl on any birch species . Root burls are common on paper birch here , up to 4 feet dia . My best guess would be that your pieces are from a root burl on one of the species that give the Masur birch figure .

Top Bottom