maple burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Depends on what kind of maple. Is that the size of the burl or a cut turning block? Is it dried or fresh green? Have you seen it? Lots of factors. A fine Big Leaf Maple burl turning block that size, properly dried, will fetch in the $100.00 region. A lesser piece about $20.00.

babyblues

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Depends on what kind of maple. Is that the size of the burl or a cut turning block? Is it dried or fresh green? Have you seen it? Lots of factors. A fine Big Leaf Maple burl turning block that size, properly dried, will fetch in the $100.00 region. A lesser piece about $20.00.
I have seen it and it's dry and uncut. It's from Maine, so it's most likely sugar maple.

jeffj13

What do you want to make from it, pens, bowl, etc?

Once I figured out what I was making, I'd determine how much I would sell that item for and work backward from there.

jeff

Jarheaded

I live in New England also and maple burls are everywhere you look. If you can get a low price on it, go for it. I go out and cut a lot of burls and it is hard work sometimes to get them, so that is a factor in the cost. If you have the ability to cut your own burls, that is the least expensive way to get them , but not every one that you get will have nice figure, I have found that maybe 25% have any figure worth using for pens, bowls are a whole other story.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Johnnie

If you come across burls that are not figured, I would consider them for turning bowls. Let me know if you run across stuff that you dont want, I would be willing to get it for bowls at the right price.

Thanks

Robert

Top Bottom