Making Someone’s Day!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

My Wonderful Wifey is a high school teacher and sometimes has students who are in Tech Ed. When one of these students shows her a pen they have turned, she comments on it and shows them a turned pen or two from her desk. If the student asks if she would like to buy the pen, she does. She has found that if she buys a pen, she has established a connection and the student works hard at doing well in her class and not being a slacker or troublesome.

This year, she bought a pen from a student whom I will call Bill who is in one of her Gourmet Foods classes. Monday and Tuesday the students made small pumpkin pies complete with some leaf cutouts of dough on top to take home.
Bill had an early dismissal that day and his pie was still in the oven so she asked where he lived and said she would bring it to him.

Yesterday, after he contacts her with his address, we get ready to take him the pie. Wifey asked me about giving some pen blanks to Bill so I make up a bag of 20 pen blanks.
We drive over, she goes to the door and talks with Bill and his mom.....and then gives him the pen blanks. He was elated! He was more excited for them than the pumpkin pie!
I think we made his day! I know we felt blessed giving and seeing his reaction.
Who can you bless?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Nice story of a very nice gesture. You never know how much some of the small things you do for people can really affect their lives. Well done!

Terredax

Banned
That was very kind.

So, if there are several students that make pens, have you considered making some grab bags? Make the same number of bags as there are students and include one "special" blank per bag, so everyone has something for a better quality pen.
With Christmas vacation coming for the students, this would make a good opportunity to give them something to do as gifts, or to keep them busy over their vacation.

Perhaps a collection could be arranged, with all of the members that cast blanks and have stashes of some slightly exotic woods, it would ease the burden of one individual to supply the blanks.

This is just me thinking out loud...

Charlie_W

With these blanks, I tried to stay with blanks that were basically straight grain...no diagonal or cross cut blanks I threw in 5 acrylic blanks which should be easy turners as well.
Good idea of the grab bags.

I would suggest checking out your local high schools to see if they have wood shops and teach pen turning and donating to them. I am sure the shop teachers are looking at budget cuts like anyone else. Even seeing if you could go in and demo pens or show your pens and other turnings to the students would be worthwhile.

Charlie_W

Follow Up: My Wifey tells me that late this week, their student shows up for class and shows her two pens he had turned from the blanks we gave him.
A couple of slim lines...one Purpleheart and the other from a blue acrylic. She said he did a very good job on these and his fit and finish are improving! He was a happy camper and thanked us for the blanks.
She will ask him for a pic.

Charlie_W

Here is a follow up:

The student with the pen blanks came to class with all these he had turned from the blanks we gave him.
He is improving greatly on his pens and having fun too!

Attachments

• 0EA64F38-8EE1-46AD-8C7D-FE5058E9D1F0.jpg
    0EA64F38-8EE1-46AD-8C7D-FE5058E9D1F0.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom