Making progress in the shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Well I finally got the bx ran and a two outlet box hung yesterday in the shop and all tied into the switch. Now I can flip my lights on and off by that instead of the entire power out there. My good friend's dad wired the shop last year and for now we have a heavy duty ext cord feeding the power. We have a dedicated wire ran into the basement and into the garage, now its just a matter of hooking up the shutoff box to the main breaker in the house and it will have a dedicated circuit completed. I tell you what it took me over 40 minutes to do what would probably have taken him 20 lol. But I learn as I go and wanted to make sure it was done right.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

That sounds like a great plan. If you have a separate panel then it's much easier and cheaper to power up, especially 220 plugs. I'm not an electrician but I think you can go 2/3 the power of the panel in the house, so like at my house I have a 150 amp panel, so in my shop I am able to have 100 amps. There's 4 huge cables underground and a telephone wire from the house to the shop. Wish I had buried a lan cable too. I'm thinking about trying one of those router thingies that can broadcast internet over the power lines so I can connect online in the shop from the house.

ToddMR

Or you could just bridge a wifi router in the shop to one in the house, unless it won't reach signal wise. We have installed a shut off box in the garage and a breaker box too. Just a matter of getting off the extension cord now.

ohiococonut

Running electrical service can be expensive even if you do it yourself. About a year and a half ago I had a 24x48 garage built. When they were done I built a center wall so I could use half for my shop. Then I rented a trench digger and laid my service entrance wire and installed a 100a service. Long story short, after all was said and done I had run over 800' of wire, installed 33 receptacles, 8 HO fluorescent 8' lights and outside lights and receptacles. It was time consuming drilling every stud an pulling wire by myself but I figured I saved myself about 3-4 grand. It's not as big as I wanted but at least I now have "my" shop :biggrin:

NEC code constantly changes so just make sure whoever does the work knows the regulations.

workinforwood

My wireless router doesn't make it to shop. My studio is about 60 feet from house, computer 40 foot back of shop, signal has about 120 foot to travel plus through walls. I saw these power line routers start at $100. Not too much too lose trying that, be nicer than using usb cards to transfer files

Top Bottom