making 46 new pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

About to do a couple of shows and have 75 already made. Thought I would make another 46 pens

Some of the materials in this series of pens are going to be: HMS Victory Oak, Lava, alligator jaw bone, buffalo horn, snakewood, P47 thunderbolt shell, tiger myrtle, Masur birch, ironwood Burl, beeswing narra, pomelle bubinga, Amboyna, Thailand Rosewood burl and Dalmatian Ebony.

Should be fun!

Attachments

• 1174996_10201842470365814_2013495625_n.jpg
    1174996_10201842470365814_2013495625_n.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 462
  • 64450_10201842471245836_1857113190_n.jpg
    64450_10201842471245836_1857113190_n.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 391
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

You had better hope that a family member doesn't come along and decide to straighten up a bit! :eek:

What do you have soaking in the jar of liquid?

yorkie

You guys are too funny.

I also have a book that I lay out with columns for: Kit...Material...Drill bit size/s...full/half or cutoff...completed.

The jar has a piece of Buffalo horn soaking in it.

yorkie

Here's a shot of the list. This helps me keep everything straight through the process in case blanks get mixed up.

Attachments

• IMG_20130901_160736_116.jpg
    IMG_20130901_160736_116.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:

Timbo

Here's a shot of the list. This helps me keep everything straight through the process in case blanks get mixed up.

That's an organized way to do it. I too lazy to keep a leger, so I just write the name of the blank on the bag of components with a sharpie...haven't screwed myself up so far.

turncrazy43

I bought some clear plastic pencil boxes at a discount store during back to school sales. I then place the pen kit and the selected blank along with the proper bushings. That way it keeps the kit, blank etc. in one place and they don't get mixed up. The Pencil boxes were $.75 ea. and will last a long time. Can Always find uses for them in the shop as well.

Everyday I'm vertical is a great day

D.Oliver

About to do a couple of shows and have 75 already made. Thought I would make another 46 pens

Some of the materials in this series of pens are going to be: HMS Victory Oak, Lava, alligator jaw bone, buffalo horn, snakewood, P47 thunderbolt shell, tiger myrtle, Masur birch, ironwood Burl, beeswing narra, pomelle bubinga, Amboyna, Thailand Rosewood burl and Dalmatian Ebony.

Should be fun!

That one stands out. Can't wait to see the pen.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Should be fun!

That one stands out. Can't wait to see the pen.
Only problem is it just won't look different than any other .50 shell. The P47 carried 8 50 caliber machine guns which would have used standard ammo. Interesting story though....the P47 was a highly successful aircraft in WW II

yorkie

You should see the patina on it though. You can tell it's been buried for 50+ years. I'll post pictures once it's done. The nib will be made using wood from the Army barracks the P47 were training from.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You should see the patina on it though. You can tell it's been buried for 50+years. I'll post pictures once it's done. The nib will be made using wood from the Army barracks the P47 were training from.
That could easily be as much as 70 years....if the training took place in '43.

yorkie

Yeah, you're right. These shells were fired during training in the 1940's. So much for my mental math!

You should see the patina on it though. You can tell it's been buried for 50+years. I'll post pictures once it's done. The nib will be made using wood from the Army barracks the P47 were training from.
That could easily be as much as 70 years....if the training took place in '43.

yorkie

Okay, all finished and ready to throw on the lathe; now up to 48 pens. I couldn't resist turning a couple more super curly Koa's; just need to order the kits.

Not sure if anyone else does this but, as a final step before turning, I ream each end and pour a small amount of thin CA if it's wood. I let this soak in for a second and then wipe off.

Anyway, here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 109

yorkie

To clarify, I pour a small amount of thin CA on the very tip, on the circle cut by the pen mill; around the edge of the brass tube. I find this strengthens the wood around the edge and is less likely to blow out as I get close to the final diameter. Some woods soak in more than others and it's really useful on the sapwood part of a two tone, which is usually more mushy. Make sense?

Okay, all finished and ready to throw on the lathe; now up to 48 pens. I couldn't resist turning a couple more super curly Koa's; just need to order the kits.

Not sure if anyone else does this but, as a final step before turning, I ream each end and pour a small amount of thin CA if it's wood. I let this soak in for a second and then wipe off.

Anyway, here they are.

philb

I thought I was the only mad-man who did this extra step.
But now it's part of the ritual, I can miss the step. Also fills any discrepancy between the brass tube and the drilled hole size!

To clarify, I pour a small amount of thin CA on the very tip, on the circle cut by the pen mill; around the edge of the brass tube. I find this strengthens the wood around the edge and is less likely to blow out as I get close to the final diameter. Some woods soak in more than others and it's really useful on the sapwood part of a two tone, which is usually more mushy. Make sense?

Anyway, here they are.

Pjohnson

I did that for the first time yesterday and got myself in trouble when i didn't realize it dripped down the inside of the tube. Caused some trouble during assembly

Top Bottom