Mailing Overseas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MrPukaShell

Hello All,

When mailing overseas what service do you select? Usually I just stuff what I can get in a Flat Rate Box and send it on it's way. Started searching around a found out if I use my own box and kept it under 2 pounds I could mail it for $23.50 (First Class Small Packet) vs $36.00 for Priority. Saved $10.00 and used a bigger box than a Small Flat Rate Box, go figure. If you print your postage at home it is a 15% savings too. Guess I had better start checking prior to sending.

Have a great day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

showcaser

If you go with Priority mail you get tracking and some insurance included. First class no tracking and no insurance. Priority is on a given timeline for delivery, no set time with first class. Keep in mind there will also likely be customs charges on the customers end. I know UK buyers pay an additional 8+ pounds in duties depending cost of goods being shipped.
Best of luck, Patrick

If you go with Priority mail you get tracking and some insurance included. First class no tracking and no insurance. Priority is on a given timeline for delivery, no set time with first class. Keep in mind there will also likely be customs charges on the customers end. I know UK buyers pay an additional 8+ pounds in duties depending cost of goods being shipped.
Best of luck, Patrick

You can track it in the U.S., but usually not once it's out of USPS hands.

gimpy

USPS have different size boxes which I use
and have no issues with them when I send
to them to Canada or London. Make sure you
International forms, and yes, the can be difficult.

And UPS does have tracking, go to their website and
The tracking will be named. Quantum View

Hope this helps some

leehljp

Member Liaison
We never had problems shipping to and from Japan over a 26 year period until 2011 when we came back home (USA). I still have friends there and occasional shipments have not been a problem.

USPS have different size boxes which I use
and have no issues with them when I send
to them to Canada or London. Make sure you
International forms, and yes, the can be difficult.

And UPS does have tracking, go to their website and
The tracking will be named. Quantum View

Hope this helps some

I'm sure a lot has changed since I retired 13 years ago, but in my business career (international shipping agent), if I was sending small packages overseas I normally used DHL, keep in mind most of what I was sending was documents. Hard freight I used various other carriers, depending on the size of shipments, but for the documents my preference was always DHL. I found UPS less efficient with courier packages, and with international shipments. The postal systems in most first world (European) countries were pretty efficient and for normal mail items I didn't hesitate to use them... my document shipments were usually bills of ladings, or letters of credit documents that I need secure tracing on.

A pretty large percentage of my shipments went into the African continent, South America, or Middle East where the postal systems are less reliable - hence always used courier system.

For what we as a group are shipping, I'm pretty sure the postal systems will work well. Most postal clerks are versed in helping with the paperwork... even in my little mountain hamlet town of 800 they seem to know about doing the forms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom