Mahogany Cabinet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Big

A doctor friend of mine built a cabinet for his AV equipment back in 1981. He used mahogany for the frame and most of the shelves except for two shelves made from African Koa. He no longer needs it, doesn't want to give it to a family member, and it is sitting in his garage. Craigslist did not produce any offers.

Does anyone have an idea what the wood might be worth if the cabinet was disassembled and sold per board foot? No screws or nails, all dowels were used in the construction. It is a nice piece.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Depends on the size of the boards you can salvage out on it. If it is dowled you will have to deduct 2-3 inches off the length of the boards to allow for the holes. That being said, I would not cut the boards because the wood between the dowels can be used if cut into narrower stripe. Thickness would be "my" biggest consern. 3/4 inch at least. Depeding on the end user, this may also not be a problem. How long, high, and wide is it?? Post a photo if possable. Jim S

low_48

Going to need more info if you want a value. 3/4 thick? Natural finish or dye? I'm guessing $25, to $40. Not much market for used wood.

plantman

Michael; Here is something else to check out. Koa comes from Hawaii. Korina ( known as African Koa ) comes from Africa. There is a world of differance between the two. Korina is classified as black or white. Black looks very much like a spalted Maple or shades of brown. White looks like a bleached Mahogany. Koa tends to lean to the red side and is much heavier in weight. Both are used in the making of fine instruments, and often used together for contrast. Mahogany trends to get very dark with age and exposure to light and usualy is straight grained with little features unless quilted or burl. Black Korina has some realy beautiful grains and colors. I agree with low_48, unless your a wood nut, have a project in mind, or can get it cheap enough, there is no real market for used wood. Jim S

Big

mahogany cabinet pics

Here are some pics that he sent to me.

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg