Loose quill on new Delta 46-460 lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cjf

I just purchased a new 46-460 lathe and when using it to drill holes in pen blanks, I'm noticing a sloppy movement of the quill in the tailstock. I spoke with the technical department and explained the quill moves about .060" when the quill lock is 1/2 turn off the lock position, enough to allow the crank to function without to much drag. He said he has not had this problem in the past but the lathe is within 30 days return policy and if I have concerns, return it. My question is, has anyone else have this lathe with a loose quill. I can't believe this quill should be this loose when only extended to 1 1/2 inch out. Your input is greatly appriciated. Happy Holidays

greenacres2

I've had my 46-460 for just over a year, but really just started using it last spring. My first lathe, so when I started drilling on it a few months ago--I assumed the first 1/8" or so being loose was normal. (I just cut the blanks a little longer and trimmed that end to make up for it). About 2 or 3 weeks ago, the speed controller began to malfunction by slowing down and speeding up. Though under warranty, I didn't want to be without a lathe during the repair so I picked up a Rikon 70-200--world of difference in the tailstock. There is not more than .002 difference between entry and exit hole diameters (without tightening the quill lock at all).

Until I get a few more Christmas pens done, i'm going to leave the Delta set up as a buffing station, then take it in for the warranty work. Can't use it to apply finish as the speed drops to an absolute crawl randomly, but I can live with speed variation in buffing and it saves the swapping.

In my mind, both lathes have advantages over each other--would love to merge them together!! i.e.:
Quill Travel--Rikon has a little over 3" compared to 2" on the Delta, so I can do a single barrel pen without repositioning the tailstock.
Tailstock Taper depth--my drill chuck is big, so I lose 1/2" of travel on the Delta because it hits the auto-eject. Rikon I lose only about 1/16" so my usable travel doubled. (yeah, I could have bought a smaller chuck...)
Belt Changes--Delta's lever is a dream compared to the Rikon system. I miss that, as I use all 3 ranges on almost every pen (center for drilling, hi-speed for turning, low for finishing)
Switch/speed control Mounting--prefer the location of Delta's since my tools are normally in my right hand

I'm glad you brought this up--I may see if they will swap out my tailstock when I take it in for work.

earl

Woodchipper

My Rikon has the lever to lock the quill but also has a set screw on the opposite side. This rides in a groove and if not screwed down a bit, it will allow the quill to move move than I like.

Top Bottom