Looking for wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
I'm not familiar with the exotic woods and burls, etc. So, I thought I would check with the experts among the crowd.

I need a block 3/4"-1" thick and 6" square of a light colored burl or something spalted.

This is a photo that was sent to me for a reference.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y2...s/Screenshot_20160725-1739482_zps6oiwoqyo.png

Can anyone point me in the correct direction for a source that isn't overly expensive?

TIA !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

John,

Where you live may help drive what kind of wood you get. If you're near a Woodcraft or Rockler, you can go in and pick the board you want. That's usually the best option if you can do it. Some areas have other wood stores that have exotic woods. Buying local is always, if possible, is usually preferable because wood is heavy and shipping it can be expensive. The down side is that you may have to buy more wood than you need for this project.

If that's not an option for you, there are some great vendors on this site that ship wood. Again, if you're near one of these stores you can cut down on postage costs. I've got a list of people I've bought from. Send me a PM and I'll be glad to list them for you.

Steve

Terredax

Banned
I don't have anything close that I know of and looking on the internet and using the phone directory hasn't yielded any better results for this area.

Picture looks like bookmatched buckeye burl, with the lighter portion being more sap wood. Think one of our regulars, Rockb, posts buckeye burl for sale with some regularity- might check with him.

Thanks for a contact. I looked at a few of his posts and it look like he sells pieces to casters primarily.
After some reading, I think I should get stabilized wood and the gentleman that wants this, says he likes buckeye burl or maple burl.

The only stabilized wood in those species that I can find, seem to be pen blanks and nothing larger.
Finding burls, it seems they want you to purchase the whole thing for prices starting around $150. That isn't possible since I'm doing this for free just to help someone that got the shaft from another person/company.

Maybe this isn't the best option for the project, but that is what he wants.
I'll report to him my findings and that maybe he should consider another material.

Thank you for the help.

RobS

Instant message Rockb he might be able to custom cut a 6" for you but you will need to get it stabilized. I have a
Piece that looks a lot like that but it's only 5".

KenV

John

The bookmatched photo looks to be two pieces of 3 inch wide wood side by side. Presumably they were cut from a 6 by 3 by 1 1/2+ piece

Changing rhe size makes it easier to find in fancy wood. For example you can get a piece of king wood a little under a foot long, 3 inch in width and 3/4 thick for a little over $20 and shipping from Cook Woods. King wood is good grip wood without stabalization.

And two pieces 3 inch wide fits in the cactus juice tube where 6 inches wide is a challenge.

Terredax

Banned
Thanks for the additional links and information.

It is proving difficult finding something small enough. Most of the burls are too large and that puts them out of the price range. I've seen some really nice stuff though.

I think having something stabilized would cost even more than getting a piece already done, with the shipping and cost of the stabilizing.

I let him know that he might want to consider other woods and even sent him a link to the Kingwood, even though he wants a lighter wood.

Thanks again for the help.

Akula

I went and looked because I have a lot of buckeye burls. I don't have any that are light in color, never noticed until this thread got me thinking, all my buckeye is dark/darker.

Terredax

Banned
From reading about burls, I think from the description of bulges or growths on the trunk of a tree (I hope that's correct), I might have some on a maple tree in my yard. I'll try to get a photo tomorrow and post it for verification.

There are two larger, one about basketball size, and a smaller one.

Terredax

Banned
After discussing it with the gentleman, he looked on ebay and found a lot of stuff he likes. Some of the stuff he sent links to, is quite pricey. He said he will pick out something and send it to me, so I can have my way with it.

I appreciate the help and I'll get a photo when it's complete.

Top Bottom