Looking for twin to SPW Jr Gent 1....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
My son made a pen using the SPW Jr Gent 1 rollerball. The plastic threads keep breaking inside the cap so I'm wondering if there's another kit that I could use these barrels on. I've taken the kit apart and replaced the plastic thread piece once already and I feel like this will be an ongoing issue.

Is there another kit that has the same dimensions as the Jr Gent 1?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Hey all,
My son made a pen using the SPW Jr Gent 1 rollerball. The plastic threads keep breaking inside the cap so I'm wondering if there's another kit that I could use these barrels on. I've taken the kit apart and replaced the plastic thread piece once already and I feel like this will be an ongoing issue.

Is there another kit that has the same dimensions as the Jr Gent 1?

Thanks!
Cabillero V1 and Baron are the same I think.
Lin

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The original Jr. Gent sold by Smitty was NOT made by the same company that makes the Caballero, so I doubt the parts would be interchangeable.

Since I have acquired SPW, I have sold over 1000 caballeros and have not had a complaint about the threaded piece, but I would not expect it to fit the old jr gent.
I would also be VERY surprised if the baron worked, since it is made exclusively for Berea by their captive manufacturer.

FWIW,
Ed

Last edited:

alankulwicki7

Thanks for the reply, Ed.

Do you know if the finished dimensions for the Caballero blanks are the same as the Jr Gent?

Basically I want to know if I completely dismantle the Jr Gent, can I use the finished blanks on a Caballero kit? Or am I going to run into fit issues between the blank and the kit?

greenacres2

Alan,
The Caballero is drilled at 25/64" lower and 29/64" upper--and I usually drill the upper to 15/32" on mine. I found this thread from 2014 http://www.penturners.org/forum/f62/jr-gent-i-122714/ that kind of indicates in the 5th post that the Baron/Navigator MAY be a fit.
One thing I've found in the short time I've done this is that the drilled hole is one indicator, but the ID of the tube (and the parts that insert into it) may differ based on manufacture. For instance, Classic Nib's Monarch cap section is a little larger than the ID of a Sierra tube. Can be forced, but can also split blanks--so I just make it a point to use only Monarch tubes with Monarch caps.
earl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The junior gent one was originally made by Dayacom for CSUSA, Those kits have been out of production for about a decade. So, several other manufacturers have made a "look alike". Earl is exactly correct. The only way to know is to get the kit you would like to fit and try it. CAREFULLY, so you can either file out the inside or find some epoxy and glue in the fittings if the tubes are a little large.

They WILL be close, but probably need "adjustment".

Top Bottom