Looking for a job near Los Angelas Cali.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

I'm looking into heading out to Los Angeles California around late june after I graduate with the masters in mechanical engineering. Any one know of a company or someone who may be looking to fill a job opening?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd99

Not sure why you want to head out here but it's not all that great other than the weather.

I lived here all my life and I'm looking to get the H out of here it's gotten so bad.....

tbroye

Go to Texas or any other state, Calif. is going under. We are looking for a place to relocate to after living here all my life, I have had enough.

oldsmokey

Hi grz5, just so you understand jd99 and tbroye, I am a retired Los Angeles Police Officer. There is only one good area in LA to be at, the center. If you are in the center, no matter which way you go, you are leaving. I lived in the LA area from 1967 until 2006. The changes that have happened there -------------we don't have enough space or time to tell you. Find another place. If you are looking for good weather, Arizona is good as is Texas. Salt Lake City has good oppertunities, but it snows. To sum it up, don't go to Ca. unless you have a great job to go to.
Good luck to you, wherever you go.

TerryDowning

If you are looking for a job, get in line, better yet, head for Texas or Utah.

If you have the job, then welcome, but be warned, except for the weather, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

If I didn't love my house and my city, I would consider moving out.

thetalbott4

Probably not what the poor guy wanted to hear...but true. DEFINATELY not what you see on TV. I left Cali for Utah. I miss the ocean and the year round nice weather, but I dont miss the $500,000 'starter' homes, or the prevalant attitude of 'if you dont have money, drive the right car, wear the right clothes, or know the right people, I dont want to know you.' Utah has its share of religious discrimination, dont get me wrong, but generally pretty decent people. I hear great things about Texas as far as jobs and the people.

grz5

My better half got into a med school in the Ontario area and we're looking to live within 45 mins of there depending on where I can get a job (so potential an hour+ outside of LA) I've been working on several NASA missions while in school so basically I'm coming out to look for a job in the summer with a masters in mechanical engineering and 4 years of work experience with NASA contracts via the space science center at my school. So hopefully I'll be able to find something

* so to clarify I'm not coming out looking for good weather, I'm coming out to be with my girl and gain a job were I can be challenged while applying 6+ years of engineering knowledge and experience :)

Last edited:

bensoelberg

As a person currently living in California, I won't berate it nearly as much as those above me have. I don't know about the LA area, but my brother in law (also a mechanical engineer with a master's) works for NavAir in Ridgecrest. He loves his job. He gets paid reasonably well. Ridgecrest is in the middle of nowhere, but there are at least 2 or 3 other members of this site who live and (mostly likely) work on the base there.

grz5

As a person currently living in California, I won't berate it nearly as much as those above me have. I don't know about the LA area, but my brother in law (also a mechanical engineer with a master's) works for NavAir in Ridgecrest. He loves his job. He gets paid reasonably well. Ridgecrest is in the middle of nowhere, but there are at least 2 or 3 other members of this site who live and (mostly likely) work on the base there.

I was actually looking at NavAir earlier today :). I have no delusions about how difficult things are. Idealy im looking for a job within an hour or so of her school but in the end I'm willing to do what it takes to make it work, as long as I can find a job that I feel is a good fit for me and my situation I'm going to jump on it.

TerryDowning

Well then, welcome to So. Cal. Did I mention that I love my house and my city. It's the dummies elected to our state assembly intent on driving this state into bankruptcy that are my biggest concern for this once great state. If you can find a good job at a good company, that's awesome, I hope you and your girl enjoy it.

jd99

If of your coming I would stay out of Ontario, i have 4 rentals here and the house we live in and it's not that great of a city not like it used to be.

I would look up in maybe north Upland, or Rancho, or Claremont would be good also.

I have a Bachelor's in mechanical engineering, and a Bachelor's in computer science, the only reason we haven't left is I only have 4 more years to go to hit my second retirement, so no reason to change jobs or careers now. :wink:

Any how welcome to Kali there are some nice things but it's not like it was, i can remember a time when we didn't have to even lock the doors, and the neighbors all knew each other. :rolleyes:

Manny

I grew up in north upland and currently live in Rancho Cucamonga. I agree both places as well as Claremont are really good. Rancho I thin being the less expensive.

If of your coming I would stay out of Ontario, i have 4 rentals here and the house we live in and it's not that great of a city not like it used to be.

I would look up in maybe north Upland, or Rancho, or Claremont would be good also.

I have a Bachelor's in mechanical engineering, and a Bachelor's in computer science, the only reason we haven't left is I only have 4 more years to go to hit my second retirement, so no reason to change jobs or careers now. :wink:

Any how welcome to Kali there are some nice things but it's not like it was, i can remember a time when we didn't have to even lock the doors, and the neighbors all knew each other. :rolleyes:

My better half got into a med school in the Ontario area and we're looking to live within 45 mins of there depending on where I can get a job (so potential an hour+ outside of LA) I've been working on several NASA missions while in school so basically I'm coming out to look for a job in the summer with a masters in mechanical engineering and 4 years of work experience with NASA contracts via the space science center at my school. So hopefully I'll be able to find something

* so to clarify I'm not coming out looking for good weather, I'm coming out to be with my girl and gain a job were I can be challenged while applying 6+ years of engineering knowledge and experience :)

I personally didn't like southern California when I lived there in the mid '60s... but loved the SF Bay area and lived there for 15 years... if you're heading for SoCal and have experience with NASA, you might look into the Jet Propulsion Lab... not sure where it's exactly located, but back in the late '60's and up to the late '70's, the companies I worked for hauled their work for the space program... I was load master for TWA cargo for a while and had one of our cargo planes blow a tire, which threw rubber into an engine and caused the plane to go off the runway into the bay... one of our payload items was a JPL moonshot... later I worked for a trucking company that hauled almost everything JPL did for the space program... don't even know if they are still around, but it's what I remember about them.

There's a lot of good about California, but I don't think I could ever afford to live there again... I left Texas in 2005, but still have fond memories of living in the Houston area... lots of work going on there, not terribly expensive to live there, but it's much less expensive to live here in Tennessee.

Good Luck.

Jgrden

I agree. Ridgecrest is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there. Randsburg is close by an might offer a place to stay. Fabrocini, or something like that, lives and works there. The desert has its own beauty. California City has nice homes. Lake L.A. is run down because the property owners refused to pay the small monthly fee to keep it in water. There was a wonderful restaurant with a jazz bar called Mr. B's but I do not know if it is still open.
We like and prefer California. Believe me when I say we paid the price to live here.

Just kidding about Randsburg, it is a ghost town.

Top Bottom