Look what "Magically" appeared in my shop!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Like straight out of Harry Potter's "Floo Network," Magicbob suddenly appeared in my basement.

Some misc shop pictures before we made a mess:

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Sure would like to have one of those Byrnes thicknessers !!

You seem to have a heck of a lot of your segmented specialties on the go !!!!

Crummy pic of MagicBob .... he is coming apart at the seams !!! ... LOL !

What brand of vacuum do you have behind and above your Byrnes machines ... Ridgid ?

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

What brand of vacuum do you have behind and above your Byrnes machines ... Ridgid ?

Yes, and I believe I have a HEPA bag filter inside. It works nicely for the three machines.

I LOVE the Byrnes thickness sander. They are costly (got mine used), but there is no way I could do the segmenting I'm attempting without it. Every set of strips that I glue up I am able to run trough and insure every strip is the same thickness, and I can custom fit every inlay. (I don't take what I have for granted - I am fortunate).

magpens

Yes, thicknessing is essential.

The little bit of "exotic" segmenting I have done (2018 BASH Kitless pen #4) .... I have just slide the inserts on a milled file to get them to fit the slot in the barrel.

Do you use thin CA to glue the chevron strips into your blanks ? And then pour more CA on top to seep down the joints ?

I have trouble getting CA to squish up the sides of the insert. I try to be really quick because it is CA.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, thicknessing is essential.

The little bit of "exotic" segmenting I have done (2018 BASH Kitless pen #4) .... I have just slide the inserts on a milled file to get them to fit the slot in the barrel.

Do you use thin CA to glue the chevron strips into your blanks ? And then pour more CA on top to seep down the joints ?

I have trouble getting CA to squish up the sides of the insert. I try to be really quick because it is CA.

For the Chevrons, (constructed like in my library article) with 4 wood "corners" I use titebond Translucent for every step from start to finish.

For the INLAYS, I use West System Marine Epoxy (105/206 I think) for every step. I first put epoxy in the slot, use a small stick to smear it around for a total coat. Then individually coat each inlay. For a 12 slot, single inlay = 12 strips to coat with epoxy. For a 12 slot, 3-ply = 36 strips. I need about 1 oz of mixed epoxy for the 36 strip inlays.

magpens

Thanks, Mark. I think I will switch over to epoxy. The CA seemed more appropriate at first thought because of its thinness (low viscosity).

Magicbob

Actually the turning smock has "breathing panels" under the arms. It makes it look like is torn.

Top Bottom