The Lone Star Woodturners Assoc is up and running!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveRussell

It's official! On February 4th, 2008 the AAW granted chapter status to the Lone Star Woodturners Association in The Woodlands, Texas! I was honored to be elected President of the chapter for 2008 â€" 2009. We have a great set of dedicated officers and directors in place to lead our club for the coming year.

In the last few weeks, we have been busy getting everything in place to get the chapter up and running, like getting a club logo, setting up a newsletter, starting to build our club website, discussing locations for meetings, demonstration topics and a hundred other little things…

We will have a club "Open House" meeting on March 29th in The Woodlands, quickly followed by three days of demonstrations at The Woodworking Shows (April 4 â€" 6th) in the Reliant Centre. If you live in the North Houston/Woodlands Texas area, or any of the surrounding areas in Montgomery, Liberty, Walker, North Waller or San Jacinto counties and would like more information about our club, please email me at: steverussell2436@comcast.net

Our website is still being developed, but there is a short information page up with a link to our first newsletter and a membership application here:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lswa.html

Happy Birthday to the LSWA!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Steve and the Lone Star Woodturners Association in the Woodlands! I am the current president for the PeachState Woodturners which is #139 of the AAW, and wish you a ton of success in spreading the message of turning! Judging from the posts, it seems that the Texans are issued lathes at birth, so you should have great success!

DocStram

Maybe it's just me .... but, I find it a little troubling that some one from AAW would come to IAP and not only recruit members (as in Steve's previous post from a while back) but would also announce the formation of a new chapter. I wonder how AAW would react to our going to their forum to recruit members for IAP?

I, like many others, donate moola to help keep IAP running. Frankly, I didn't donate money so that AAW can get free advertising for starting a new chapter.

Ohh .. and that online application is an especially nice touch.

Just my opinion.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
WOW!

First of all, I am not sure what the history here is for the issues brought up by DOC, but I am confused by the animosity for the AAW, and am not certain what the tone is for DOC's Statement so I will remain nuetral at this point.

A bunch of us "donate" money for the site, so if it is a prerequisite to post that you are a "monetary donor" before stating that you dont like something, I will go ahead and state that I have donated money for this site. I am certain that the content of this site has never been regulated by who contributes and who doesn't, and I certainly hope it doesn't start.

This is the casual conversation thread, so I think that an announcement of a local TURNING club is a very good thing for people in the TEXAS area. It is a nice way to get people into turning, and potentially introducing additional members to our group here at IAP, in that pens are a focus here, but if you look at folks albums, you will find people turning game calls, rods, bowls, hair pins, and a ton of other unique and cool things. I frequently sing the praises of this website at my turning club, and at the Atlanta Wood Show, spent several HOURS promoting the IAP website, and its generous members.

I am not sure how the flamboyant UMBRAGE display to "free advertising" is constructive in celebrating an IAP members accomplishment and hard work. I don't want to get personal with you DOC, but I expected more from someone who is well respected on this forum, and whom I consider a valuable member of the Georgia Bubbasville. I think we should take the time to celebrate a members success in a personal undertaking.

Again, I want to remain nuetral here, as I realize I am a guest of this forum and the invitation to participate has been generously offered by our hosts. I hope to see some positive energy in this thread by tomorrow.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by DocStram

[red]Maybe it's just me .... but,[/red]
Doc, Let's hope it is JUST YOU!

As stated above, unless there is some history of "bad blood", I see absolutely no reason for your post!

Wood turners are wood turners regardless if they are turning bowls, platters, candlesticks or pens and I think these "barriers" are rediculous!

I attend my monthly AAW turners club meetings and folks are always wanting to see my latest pens just as they are with others bowls and the like.

SteveRussell

Hello to the group,

Thanks everyone for the kind words of support and encouragement for our new club!

Doc, please accept my apologies for anything in my post that you felt was inappropriate. However, you should know that I'm not "from the AAW." I'm only a member - like 13,000+ other members. My posting related to my local woodturning club (the LSWA), not the AAW and was intended only as an informational announcement for IAP members living in the North Houston/Woodlands, Texas area. Gosh, I was just excited about starting a new woodturning club...

alamocdc

Many of our members here at IAP are AAW members. While this site is focused on perfecting the craft of penturning and sharing such information with other penturners, the AAW focuses more on the other aspects of turning that folks like myself, Ron Sardo, James (Fangar), Ed Davidson, Russ Fairfield, Chris (Wishman) and many, many others also enjoy. Sorry if I left anyone out (not my intention), and don't tkae that to mean all are members of an AAW chapter. I simply took it as Steve sharing the information for those in the Houston area should they be interested. Please don't take this as a slam against you, or your post, Al. That is also not my intent. I'm just explaining how I viewed the matter. Moreover, it would give the local penturners a chance to physically meet with more of the same... kinda like the Bubbasville meetings and MWPG, only on a more regular basis. I'd LOVE the opportunity to meet regularly with folks like Cav, Al (Doc), Scott, Scott, Jeff, Dario, Mannie, etc., etc. My list is quite nearly endless. I know, I left you out, Ed (Brown), but I see you at least once a year anyway and that's often enough.[}:)];) Just kidding, of course, but you HAD to see that coming.[:p]

great12b4ever

Hey Doc, I just wanted to let you know that I am a founding member of the Lone Star Woodturning Association, and am also on the Board as a Board Member. Jskeen, from Crosby, another member of the IAP is also a Founding member and on the Board. Jeff from Crosby who joined the IAP this past summer/fall and his son are both members of the LSWA. Although the LSWA is affiliated with the AAW, it is well represented by members of the IAP who are on the board, including Steve Russel, who was voted in as the first President of the club. There are several other members of the LSWA who happen to belong to the IAP also.

In addition, during the upcoming Woodturners show in April, where the LSWA will have a booth, Jeff from Crosby's son at 12 years old will be DEMONSTRATING Pen turning from the youth point of view. He has turned several pens, including some acrylics that I think he got from Blindsquirrel, right here on the IAP.

I believe everyone knows that I REGURALY Donate to the IAP, and have tried to buy a lot from the members, so YES WE ARE WELL REPRESENTED in LSWA.

And that is my 25 cents worth! [}:)][}:)];)

To paraphrase the IAP mission statement, the core purpose of this web site is to promote and discuss pen making. We do that on this site by participating in the forums.

There is line that separates acceptable forum subject matter from the unacceptable, although it isn't always clear on which side of the line certain posts fall. If the purpose for the post promotes pen making, then it would seem to fall on the acceptable side of the line. The post that started this thread had several purposes:
  • announce the formation of a new AAW chapter;
  • name the chapter's first president;
  • recruit new members; and
  • make an application and newsletter available to interested IAP members and casual readers.
Al objected to the initial post's announcement of a new AAW chapter and it's attempt to recruit new members. The fact that there are IAP members involved with that chapter (and AAW), or that there may be IAP members interested in the new chapter, does not "cleanse" the post and make the topic acceptable or consistent with the purpose of the IAP mission. The fact that AAW members also turn pens does not mean that its or its chapters' missions are consistent with IAP's. Stated differently, IAP business is IAP business. AAW business is AAW business, regardless of whatever overlap in missions there may be.

The Lone Star Woodturner's Association used the IAP web site to promote its new chapter and to recruit new members. That's not consistent with the IAP mission statement. Al supports this site directly and indirectly, presumably for the purpose for which the site was intended. I read from his post that he does not appreciate others using this site for their own purposes when those purposes are not consistent with the IAP's stated mission. That these folks also support the site directly and indirectly really is of no consequence. The site is not run on a "majority rules" basis. The rules have been established. We are expected to abide them.

Frankly, I don't give a rat's tush if the LSWA promote's its new chapter and recruits members here. I also don't care if IAP members want to sell Girl Scout cookies in the individual classifieds forum. What I do care about is that the rules be followed and that members be respected when they try to enforce the rules.

IAP is self-policing. Anarchy in the forums is prevented by members enforcing the rules, as Al did here. Since there can be no question that promotion of another organization and recruitment of its members is not IAP business, Al's post was appropriate. The reaction to his post was not. It should have been "My bad." Instead, it was defensive. If you don't like Al's tone or his words, then address that with him. But trying to defend the indefensible promotes nothing useful here.

great12b4ever

To Proud Poppa of 2 ( Michael Hancock )

After reading your post on this subject, I find myself once again forced to respond. If as you say it is totally inappropriate to promote or discuss anything outside of the auspices of Pen making, then there needs to be several changes made on this forum. Some of these changes needs to be the elimination of the "Other things we make" forum, as, by its name, it is the showing and/or promoting of making things different than pen making! At the same time the Casual Corner needs to be taken away also. This forum , in my understanding, was to allow members to express themselves in whatever good tastes allowed, covering such subjects as Jokes, Gloats, Kids, Dogs, Cats, Illness, Rants, Raves, Vents, and accomplishments by members.

Also, if you are right, then all members photos need to be purged of ALL items that are not pens! This includes bowls, bottle stoppers, cabinets, entertainment centers, vases, platters, boxes, miniature items, hair pens, spindles, and other items that are not pen directly pen making!

In addition, all classified ads and group buys need to be policed in order to make sure that the only items being discussed/sold/bought are pen making items, and not bottle stoppers, bowl blanks, Cabachons, and such.

The Pen Makers guild is mentioned and covered in depth on this forum, including links and instruction on how to become a member of this elite organization. Granted they are pen related, but they are a separate organization, and some of their information that is available on their website was used in the IAP BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA questions, which, in itself, was helping to promote another organization.

Houston has not had a Bubbasville meeting in quite a while, and there is no way for local penturners to meet and visit others to share ideas, thoughts, methods without becoming a part of a "Turning Club."

The LSWA is affiliated with AAW, but I did not see where an application was being forced down anyone's throat to join the AAW. I did see where links were made to a newsletter put out by LSWA, and a link was given to an application blank for those in the Houston area that were interested. I did not see it as a all out effort to recruit members. What I did see was an accomplishment of one member of IAP, with the help of other IAP members, and an announcement to that affect.

I had grown to really appreciate all of the understanding and helps given on this Forum, even to those who DO NOT TURN PENS, but I am appalled at the sudden need to enforce rules to letter of the law in reference to one member, and be totally lax on the same rules to almost everyone else.

I have the following items for sale if anyone wants them. If not, then I shall dispose of them. One IAP Cap, One IAP Wall clock, One IAP turning smock, One IAP coffee mug.

It has been fun, but this group has become full of too much bickering and bashing, and ELITISM!

Good bye

alamocdc

Very eloquently stated, Mike, but I need some help here. I have read and reread both the Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy and cannot find where Steve's original (or subsequent) post violated any IAP "rules". You mention the IAP Mission Statement and mission several times, but a mission statement is just that. Unless something has changed that I am unaware of, a mission statement is not a declaratory set of rules. The two "documents" I reference above are, and have ever been, the governing guidance for posting on IAP. So help me out here. What did I miss?

Call it defense if you will. I stand on my view of the original intent.

First of all, Billy, I appreciate the tone of your post. :) No matter what you say, and no matter how strongly you disagree with me, I have no difficulty respecting your position because of the respect you have shown for mine. Thank you for that.

In response to the substance of your post, I think the IAP mission statement expresses unambiguously the purpose for the organization. We know from it what IAP business is so we can deduce what isn't IAP business. We also know from the same document that contains the mission statement ("About Penturners.org and The IAP") that IAP is self-policing.

The purpose of my first post two-fold. First, it was to express agreement with Al that I thought LSWA's recruitment of new members here crossed the line. That was Al's opinion and that is my opinion. We expressed them. The opinion may or may not be shared by others, but it doesn't matter.

The second reason for my post was to support Al's expression of his opinion. As soon as he expressed it, he got walloped. I thought that was uncalled for, especially in light of my opinion that transacting LSWA business on the IAP web site crosses the line. Again, that's my opinion.

Al has since decided that he overreacted to Steve's post and issued an apology. That doesn't change the premise of my post. I understand the arguments that have been made justifying Steve's post, but I think they fall into the category of "two wrongs don't make a right." Sure, there are a lot of things that go on here that transgress the mission statement, and a lot of them pass without comment. I don't belive that justifies the next person's doing it.

At the end of the day, this is another one of those tempests in a teapot that we have about every other week or so. I think this, you think that, we learn a little about more each other, and we probably think twice before we post the next time.

What I learned from this is that Billy Burt doesn't agree with me, but he respects me enough to say so in a manner that lets us grow from here. I appreciate that more than you know and I hope others are watching.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Let's not get crazy here, folks. Of all the good people who have posted on this thread, I've been around the longest and would like to share a little history. The "Casual Conversation" forum was added in the December/January timeframe 3 years ago as a place where we could share things about ourselves beyond pen making. As long as it isn't sexual, religious, political or hate-oriented, the rest of the topics are pretty much fair game. It works without having someone police the subject matter.

I, for one, am glad to read about Steve's efforts and success in starting a new AAW chapter. It was a scant two years ago that the AAW recognized pen turning with its own sessions at the annual conference. I can only hope that the other IAP members who are now part of the LSWA will continue to expand the acceptance of pen turning as an integral part of the AAW.

Congratulations and well done, Steve (and others). Good luck with the new group!

Texatdurango

It appears that some have WAY too much idle time on their hands, perhaps it's the cold weather! I don't have to sift through the IAP mission statements, rules and Terms of Service to determine what is or isn't allowed to be discussed here. I use a little common sense then just take a quick glance at the Forum title where it says "Casual Conversation" then look directly under that title where it says "Off-topic, general chat".

Looking underneath the members names to the left, I notice some have "moderator" which is self explanitory then most have different colored stars which I think mean number of posts. What I haven't figured out yet is what designates forum "deputies"? We sure seem to have a lot of them lately!:(

Lou summed it up perfectly... "It works without having someone police the subject matter" so instead of preaching forum policy to us, some of you ought to go out to the shop and turn a pen... or a bowl... or a platter then take a photo and show us what you made! THAT is what this forum is all about, not this bickering and preaching nonsense!

I feel better now, I think I'll go out and make a cap for the pen I made last night.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

First of all, Billy, I appreciate the tone of your post. :) No matter what you say, and no matter how strongly you disagree with me, I have no difficulty respecting your position because of the respect you have shown for mine. Thank you for that.

In response to the substance of your post, I think the IAP mission statement expresses unambiguously the purpose for the organization. We know from it what IAP business is so we can deduce what isn't IAP business. We also know from the same document that contains the mission statement ("About Penturners.org and The IAP") that IAP is self-policing.

The purpose of my first post two-fold. First, it was to express agreement with Al that I thought LSWA's recruitment of new members here crossed the line. That was Al's opinion and that is my opinion. We expressed them. The opinion may or may not be shared by others, but it doesn't matter.

The second reason for my post was to support Al's expression of his opinion. As soon as he expressed it, he got walloped. I thought that was uncalled for, especially in light of my opinion that transacting LSWA business on the IAP web site crosses the line. Again, that's my opinion.

Al has since decided that he overreacted to Steve's post and issued an apology. That doesn't change the premise of my post. I understand the arguments that have been made justifying Steve's post, but I think they fall into the category of "two wrongs don't make a right." Sure, there are a lot of things that go on here that transgress the mission statement, and a lot of them pass without comment. I don't belive that justifies the next person's doing it.

At the end of the day, this is another one of those tempests in a teapot that we have about every other week or so. I think this, you think that, we learn a little about more each other, and we probably think twice before we post the next time.

What I learned from this is that Billy Burt doesn't agree with me, but he respects me enough to say so in a manner that lets us grow from here. I appreciate that more than you know and I hope others are watching.

Billy

I will again state that I will try to remain neutral here because I have never met you before, but I need to respond and clarify some things in your post.

The first is, I am all for the right of someone expressing an opinion. As it is stated in the original post from Doc, I think it is more of rant/antagonizing statement than an opinion. Normally Doc is the salve that is applied to these situations that calm them down, and I was equally surprised to see it take on a decidedly negative tone towards an IAP member, and another organization. I think the post was not instructive, constructive or supportive, and was posted to perhaps continue an episode in the past.

The second item is you accuse us of walloping Doc. That is not the case, and if you have been around these forums long enough, you will see what walloping is, but this was definitely not a wallop. I supported SteveRussell and his endeavors, as I would ANY IAP member. I was not rude, nor was I hostile towards Doc. I respect Doc, and if the situation had been the other way around, the only thing I would have changed in my reply would have been the names.

The last item is, I personally have tried to overcome the prejudice the turning community has had against "penturning" for the last 4 years. Many of the artists here have taken pens to a whole new plane of turning, and deserve the recognition, and respect that they receive. They have shared their knowledge and expertise, and good humor, and have done so willingly to teach us all how we can grow as pen turners. I hold the IAP banner high wherever I go, and try to be an ambassador of the community here. I dont have an hourly rate, and I certainly have never sent a "bill" to anyone here for "advertisement".

I didnt see an apology from Doc, and for expressing an opinion, I dont think he needs to. But after saying that, I would like to see him heal whatever the issue is with SteveRussell so we dont see this type of antagonizing post again. I hate to see IAP members going at each other over something so minor. The results I think you see in that people become tired and wore out with all of the negative bickering, as in the example shown by Great12b4ever. I am personally going to email Great12b4ever and make sure they understand that we want them here in the forum as a valuable member. I hope Doc and SteveRussell reach out to Great12b4ever and do the same thing.

I hope that you see the purpose of the post Billy, and take it as a try at healing this thing. I have no ax to grind here, and just want to get back to constructive stuff being posted.

Robert, you addressed your post to Billy, but your reference to "walloping" (my word) makes it read like you meant it for me. I'm Michael. :) So, I'll respond.

I have no argument or disagreement with anything you say. And, as I said to Billy (Alamocdc), I appreciate the tone of your post, as well. It is respectful, calm and easy for me to nod my head to as I read along. I wish all disagreements here were like that. Sadly, they aren't. But, I do appreciate the efforts when they are made. My thanks to you, Billy and the others who do that.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Mike, I have no problem with agreeing to disagree, so long as it's done in a mutually respectful manner. ;) I very nearly didn't do that. I first read your post late last night (several times) and was chomping at the bit to rebut. But I knew if I replied hastily, I would likely have said something that would not have been taken as I intended. I also decided that I might be taking it personally when no such intent existed. So I decided to "sleep on it" before responding. I'm glad I did... I do my best thinking when I'm asleep. :D

All too often it is easy to slam in with a response. Sometimes folks are just in a hurry to reply. But sometimes folks use the shield of cyberspace either believing it gives them the freedom to blast, or feeling protected because of it. I try not to allow myself to fall into that trap as nothing good can come from it. However, much good can come from a mutually respectful exchange of information, thoughts, or ideas.

DocStram

Where I come from, when you screw up . . . you don't try to weasel out of it by blaming others. You acknowledge that you made a mistake ... try to fix it ... and then apologize. Then, you move on . . . trying not to make the same mistake again.

With that in mind, I emailed Steve and extended a heartfelt apology to him and the Lone Star Woodturners Association. I also made a post in a separate thread in which I publicly apologized.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33797

I've also learned that you can't look back. What's done is done . . . and you move on with your life. But, you don't run away from your mistakes.

Top Bottom