A little play in the headstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I am noticing a little play in the HS of my jet mini. I can't move the spindle up or down but it slides a little (1/32") parallel to the bed. Does it sound like the bearings are going? Or can I be lucky and something just be coming loose? It is a little less than a year old but has probably a few hundred hours on it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

There have been several posts, recently, about folks who had to replace bearings in the JET mini after a relatively short period of time. Consensus was that OEM bearings were not top rate and replacement bearing from Timkin would give better service. I would expect that if the bearings were going bad you would have "slop" in all directions and you usually get some extra noise when they start fail so your symptoms are a little puzzling?? My first action would be to email JET customer service. That lathe has a 2 year limited warranty and I'm sure JET will take good care of you!!

jwoodwright

Kevin, do you use your handwheel as a "hand brake"? It is a left hand thread with 2 set-screws. After you shut it off, if you try to make it stop faster by using the handwheel, you'll either overtighten it or loosen it. The handwheel is used to give the correct amount of play in the spindle. Loosen the 2 set-screws, adjust the handwheel to where it EASILY moves the spindle, without excessive play. Tighten the 2 set-screws. Verify not too tight or too loose.

dubdrvrkev

That could be it John. Thanks. I do use it to slow down some times, although not with the chuck on anymore. If you stop the spindle too quickly the weight of the chuck can make it un-thread itself. DAMHIKT [8)]
The only noise is the belt getting a little worn, of course that could be from the spindle play so it may not be perfectly aligned. After I get home I will give her a look-see.

Doghouse

I had the opposite problem with mine. It appeared to have lost power. The handwheel was too tight and created too much friction. You have to be careful with that setting.

dubdrvrkev

Well I took the handwheel off and put it back on. That didn't do much, but it seemed like the pulleys weren't aligned so I straighten the top one out and all seems well. [:D]
Wheres that boat from NZ already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom