A little odd question???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I know this will be a bit odd of a question but i am always amazed at the vast knowledge that is gathered here on this site. So what the heck. I have a couple scratches in my 2012 Silverado truck this could be from a number of things but they are not huge and do not need repainting of fenders or panels. What I was wondering about was the products that they use to sell on TV that just wipe it on and the scratches are gone.

Have not seen these informercials lately but have not been looking for them either. I do not know how these products work for any paint and with todays cars with the clear coats and things.

But my question is has anyone used a product like this and did it work and were you happy. What was the name of the product and where did you get it. maybe there is something different out there and I would be interested in that also. Please do not suggest dealer touch up paints. Been there done that.

Does anyone know what products I am talking about. The commercials I have seen they took a key and scratched the hood of a car and a few wipes of this stuff all scratches were gone. I think qvc sold it at one time too.

So can you help me. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jack Parker

John, I haven't personally tried any of the "miracle" (snake oil) products so I can't speak directly to them. I have used the Turtle Wax products available in the various auto parts stores. They work as long as you don't ask them to do what they weren't intended to do. They will cover minor scratches in clear coat, for anything larger or deeper than that you will likely see the repair.

H2O

I don't know if it's available any longer, but it was a colored wax and didn't get very good reviews. I believe it would wash off and need reapplied after washing. It didn't prevent rust if the scratch went to the metal.

southernclay

Lol you just brought me back. When I was 16 my first car was an 85 S-10 blazer, this was 1995. It was originally in Florida and had some scratches and oxidation. Bought a product that was as seen on TV, wish I could remember the name. Anyway, it did a very good job on all of the small scratches and not much to the oxidation. About 6 months later a film appeared that I could never get off all over. Unfortunately my dad liked the initial results I got so he immediately did the same treatment to his truck, same thing happened with his shortly after. I thought of doing the treatment again but just went with it. That was a while ago so I'm sure they've come up with better products but what looks good quick may not last. :biggrin:

Side note, hope you're doing alright from your snow adventures John, looking forward to seeing your creations when you really get back and settled in your shop.

CREID

Some of them used a colored wax to try and hide the scratch and some of them used clear to reflect the original color. they kinda worked on small scratches, (very small, the kind made by your fingernail). the wax was probably mixed with a little resin to keep it from washing off. They never worked that well. the fact that it was on an infomercial should tell you that. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

jttheclockman

I am kind of thinking it would be too good to be true because I just can not figure how it would work to hide scratches like say a key scratch. I do use Mother's polish and it works well for some surface scratches. I guess I need to buy some touch up paint because a couple of the scratches are to bare metal. Body shop work is out of the question at least for these scratches. I just like to have my vehicles in the best condition as possible so when I sell I do get a good return. What is it called OCD??? Will sell in about 2 or 3 years.

Tony thanks for that link. I guess that about sums it up. Too bad.

Warren, the last 2 days have been the most tired I have been in years. Never worked so hard. My little Honda snow blower worked very hard because it was not designed for 30+ inches of snow. It is not wheel driven so I had to push through every inch. That machine does not owe me a dime though. It has seen quite abit of snow. The roads here are terrible. Nowhere to plow the snow so now all roads become 1 lane roads. The main highways though are in very good shape. Lucky for me I have a ranch house and a couple years ago I bought one of those snow rakes for my roof because we got hit with some heavy weighted snows. I had to pull some snow off the roof today because on one side of the house the wind did not blow the snow off and it piled up and now with the warmer temps this snow is getting heavier with the water weight.. This was one of those storms for the ages. Not sure if it was a record in my area but in many surounding towns it was.

If my doctors knew what I have been doing they would commit me. I think I survived though. Will take a few days to recover. After that it is back to cleaning the shop and surrounding rooms. :)

plantman

John; I think your best bet is to ask around at the car dealerships. They have people that come onto their lots when they take in used cars that are scratched or dented and remove the blemishes without having to repaint. They will also usually do this at their homes, shops, or come to your house. Buffing compound, a good buffer, and a pro behind it can work those scratches out. If the scratches are down to bare metal, you will need a three step process to repair properly. You need the correct primer that was used on the truck at the factory, the correct and matching base coat paint number for that year and model, and the correct number of clear coats to match the original. A dealer may or may not have these on hand, but a custom paint company that sells touch up paint mix the correct formula for each. They come in spray cans for large areas, down to 2oz bottles with applicators. Name of the company is Automotive Touchup. I have used their products for several of my cars with perfect results. Jim S

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
JT, I think a repair is very feasible. My brother-in-law (who worked for an automotive company), scratched a rental car in England last year. Went to an automotive supply store and bought the 2 stage buffing compounds, and in 15 minutes was good to go = $18.00.

Hope your next few days are restful!

dangre

What I was wondering about was the products that they use to sell on TV that just wipe it on and the scratches are gone.

John,
The product I have is DUPONT Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick, as seen here. I don't know about key scratch deep, but it works fantastically on minor scratches. I think I got it at Costco a couple years ago.
Amazon has this, maybe a newer version? It also looks like there are versions from Simoniz, Dupli-Color, and Turtle Wax. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Dan

Last edited:

jttheclockman

What I was wondering about was the products that they use to sell on TV that just wipe it on and the scratches are gone.

John,
The product I have is DUPONT Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick, as seen here. I don't know about key scratch deep, but it works fantastically on minor scratches. I think I got it at Costco a couple years ago.
Amazon has this, maybe a newer version? It also looks like there are versions from Simoniz, Dupli-Color, and Turtle Wax. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Dan

Hello Dan

From what I am gathering all these products are clear and they are designed to reapply a clearcoat and not paint. My scratches are down to bare metal from dings and not sure what the lines are from. I am guessing I will have to just buy the dealer paint and fill in that way. I am pretty sure their paint is a combination of paint and clearcoat in one step. Thanks for the links.

dangre

jttheclockman;1829158 Hello Dan From what I am gathering all these products are clear and they are designed to reapply a clearcoat and not paint. My scratches are down to bare metal from dings and not sure what the lines are from. I am guessing I will have to just buy the dealer paint and fill in that way. I am pretty sure their paint is a combination of paint and clearcoat in one step. Thanks for the links.[/quote said:
Yes, they are to cover scratches to the clear coat and do an amazing job of making them disappear. If its down to bare metal though, its going to need a filler. There are some colored pens and even colored waxes, but I haven't had any long term luck with those. Looks like aftermarket touch-up paint will be the way to go. Good luck.

Dan

Top Bottom