A little Forum Etiquette - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2018, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Default A little Forum Etiquette

We have alot of new members joining every day and this is just a word of courtesy. Those that have been here for some time pretty much adhere to this but maybe we slip now and then and I am sure I probably do too but I do try to make a conscious effort to thank the members that take the time to answer questions or supply links or whatever. If you are going to make a post and ask a question, two things please do. Get back to the post and acknowledge you read the replys and or tried them or will try them at a future date. Nothing pees me off more than to answer a question with some thought and probably a little research and never see the poster say anything again in the thread and just moves on. Also a thank you some place along the line is not asking too much. I know that this world has become a fast pace society and today cell phone usage is all the rage and those things happen on the phone but this is a forum where people try to be helpful in the best possible way and that is what made this site as great as it is. The hard work to get this forum in the shape it is today comes on the backs of many with our leader Jeff paving the way. But he could not do it alone and that is where we as members come in. Respect the work that others do to help you in your quest to be a great pen turner. That is what we do here.

So thank you for reading
Old 11-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Ditto!

Thanks John for the reminder
Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Great minds think alike.........or fools never differ...

Please and Thank You

But yes JT, I agree with you, unfortunately we sometimes need a quick reminder
Old 11-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprat View Post
Great minds think alike.........or fools never differ...

Please and Thank You

But yes JT, I agree with you, unfortunately we sometimes need a quick reminder
Wow Skip that was 6 years ago and back then you got 100 likes on your well thought out post. I do not think I ever seen a 100 like post before or I can not remember one anyway.

Maybe we just need a reminder now and then. Also with the many new members joining it may need to be said to remind them what is protocol here. You said something that is very true too in that if the people who take the time to answer get disrespected then they will stop answering and you get less people doing the same. There are some people here that answer many questions with alot of thought and take much time in doing so and I will not name names because I will forget people but you know who you are. Their responses may read as a novel but within them there is so much more info than what the OP asked and that is what sharing is all about. Many questions are asked 1000 times in many different ways and the same answers are repeated but they do get answered.

Even a push of the like button shows you read the post and and maybe agree with some or all of what was said. That at least counts too. Have a great Day One and All. Now for some shop time.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I'm sorry to admit I have been guilty of this on more than one occasion. My sincere apologies to anyone I've done this to. I often get excited or distracted with a problem and forget to follow up with those that helped me.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Wagner11 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I think a bigger issue is: Why would I get irritated/po'd if someone didn't thank me for something I voluntarily decided to do (asked rhetorically)? In order to avoid feeling irritated, I would have to ask if the receiving party planned on thanking me. Maybe , the receiving party should ask if I plan on saying ,"You are welcome." Wouldn't I be the one with the "problem"?

I am flawed beyond explanation - Wagner11, you can ask me anything you want - I won't get upset if you don't thank me.

I don't think these notes change behavior any more that warnings on cigarette labels discourage another generation from smoking and published calorie counts stop someone from ordering a Big Mac, etc.

I wish folks were all nice to each other and respected one another, but I have zero control over someone else's behavior. I do have control over what I expect of others and what I need in order to maintain my serenity, and I will not put that in the hands of someone else. Excellent topic.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 41

Hi Tony - From my perspective:

I hate wasting my time. If I take the time to answer a question I would like to think I didn't waste my time. I'm not looking for thank you , but some form of acknowledgement so that I can feel I didn't completely waste my time typing out something greatly increases the odds of me spending the time to answer future questions.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I understand the goal of the post, but encourage others who read a thread to express their appreciation even if the OP doesnít.

Even an ungracious OP can ask a question (sometimes again) that helps the rest of us so a thanks from others could help keep the answers coming in.

I know, for instance, John T and I donít always agree, mostly on the approach to a question or answer. I have decided it not worth our expressing our differences in a thread, if possible, for a couple of reasons: one, it isnít worth derailing the thread; two, John T has tons of great info and experience. If I have concerns in the future, I will PM him.

BUT, I always try to express thanks in other threads when John shares something that helped me in particular. Two people can sometimes disagree, but it doesnít necessarily make either of them wrong. Give thanks at all levels when you can.

There should, hopefully, be enough of us who do appreciate the answers to make up for those who donít.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I'm happy to hold the door open for you but if you don't say thank you or acknowledge the gesture with a nod or a smile I won't do it next time you're behind me.

Same holds here for the reasons John brought up.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

If I ask a question, I appreciate a response and do acknowledge the answer, tip, suggestion. If I offer the same, I don't require a Thank You from the forum member or guest. I do thank John T. for the thread- great reminder. I frequent a forum where the people have gotten downright nasty over a trivial thing.
Logged on members can hide ads