Lighthouse Tampa now has our own classr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andi

After3plus yrs
We have our own classroom .
Yesterday Chelsea lead me into
The blond school to show me our beautiful
New classroom of our very own.for
3 years we have been in the mIntenMce garGe are.

Thanks from everyone that has donTed,
We used supplies this week thrat weet
Donated by members of the IAP
Thank you all so Veryi h.You make a difference in So
Many lived

I hope to have the school in Pittsburgh center for the blind wood turning school open

This fall. Anyone that is going to
The convention we could use help in the kids room
With a few volunteers for the or turning session
With the blind please Email or callme.

Invite to disability panel

In pittsburgh we are having a disability panel I hope some of you
Will come And support the panel .
The program is right after lunch on Saturday
At the Pittsburgh convention center.
We talk Nout the challenges if turning
With disNilities and some wSys we compensate which cN be used by most
Turners as helpful shortcuts. I
Am moderating and would be so honored of you would join us

Thank you again got all your support to the blind woodturner g schools

andi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andi

Andi's original thread is at http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/woodturning-blind-131810/ She had assistance from me in writing it. She has now graduated to posting on her own, as you can see. Bravo Andi.

As she mentions, several IAP members have contributed supplies to the Tampa Lighthouse for the Blind woodturners, and this has been very much appreciated.

Malcolm Zander

Last edited:

AlanZ

This is the second time I have attended the Woodturners with Disabilities session at an AAW Symposium.

It's about creative people sharing creative solutions for physical challenges.

Many thanks go to those on the panel and in the audience, and I look forward to many future discussions and solutions.

Charlie_W

At the AAW Thursday evening, I went to a pen session hosted by Kurt Hertzog. Andi and her husband were present and near the end, she asked for 4 volunteers to help with turning pens during lunchtime with the blind kids group on Friday and then again on Saturday helping veterans turn pens. Several of us joined her for this. To me, this is the best way to spend lunch!
We helped with getting all the lathes set up with mandrels, mandrel savers, pen kit, blank, sandpaper and finish.
I was paired with a young man (name withheld) who faced some challenges. he seemed to have low vision and could see a little when he got in real close. We started with a hands on introduction to the lathe, pen blank and chisel ( round carbide)....hit a snag with the required face mask. He said "I am claustrophobic and this reminds me of a MRI machine" followed by "I can't do this, I am out of here"
With the help of another volunteer, we came up with a plan. His pen would be a collaborative effort! I would do the actual turning and he could check it at intervals and add his input. He was able while standing back a few feet to hold his face mask out in front of his face so he could breathe.
We did find that he was able to sand the blank lengthwise with the lathe off. I just rotated the lathe shaft by hand.
I applied the finish as he didn't like the smell.
He then went over to the table where Andi was helping press together the pens and get pics! There was a cheer in the room as each person finished their pen.
Below is a pic of Andi, this young man with his pen and myself. He was proud of this pen. At first, he said he was going to give it to his dad.....then he said he wanted to give it to Andi. She convinced him to keep it.
I heard him tell the other gentleman who had been helping "Andi sure is pretty"!

The following day helping the veterans went well and was a special time as well.

Andi and her husband are committed to this cause and are getting pen turning started for the blind in Pittsburgh.
Please consider volunteering at the AAW symposium and other regional symposia...you will surely be blest when helping others!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 122

sbwertz

Hi Andi

Couldn't make it to PA, but Lighthouse AZ is going strong. I was gone for a month and two turners from the AZ chapter of AAW volunteered to fill in for me.

I'm so glad to see you are active on IAP now!

Sharon

Top Bottom