Life without TV

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

I made my big move from an apartment to a nice mobile home that's only 4 minutes from my workplace after my wife passed away last year.

So I have trying to simplify my life somewhat,cut costs and make better use of my time.I already gained 1 to 1.5 hours a workday with the commute change,which was nice!

I have free Wifi with the park,and since it's just me,I thought I'd experiment and see if I could cut out the cable TV.

So far,so good.I find that I'm always caught up on my chores.It used to be so easy to just plop down and tell myself "Just one show..' ...then a few hours later I realized I got stuck again.

I remember visiting a guy with a huge amount of his own restored motorcycles that he built his own museum,and asked how he did it? He said "No TV,"

Eventually,I might get the internet hookup,but I like the savings of $163.00 a month I was paying before.

Anybody else here in the group cut out the TV?

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

with free wifi you will have the internet. Or am I missing something?
Don

I made my big move from an apartment to a nice mobile home that's only 4 minutes from my workplace after my wife passed away last year.

So I have trying to simplify my life somewhat,cut costs and make better use of my time.I already gained 1 to 1.5 hours a workday with the commute change,which was nice!

I have free Wifi with the park,and since it's just me,I thought I'd experiment and see if I could cut out the cable TV.

So far,so good.I find that I'm always caught up on my chores.It used to be so easy to just plop down and tell myself "Just one show..' ...then a few hours later I realized I got stuck again.

I remember visiting a guy with a huge amount of his own restored motorcycles that he built his own museum,and asked how he did it? He said "No TV,"

Eventually,I might get the internet hookup,but I like the savings of $163.00 a month I was paying before.

Anybody else here in the group cut out the TV?

Steve

carlconner

Steve,

Yes, we cut the cable about 15 years ago and never looked back. We do use the Internet to keep up on news and we have purchased a few seasons of TV shows on DVD so the wife and I can have a weekly "TV" date. Really happy we made that choice.

The funniest part was when my now 10 year old daughter came home from Kindergarten with an announcement - other people in the world change channels on their TV sets! Since then she says - we don't have "channel TV".

ossaguy

with free wifi you will have the internet. Or am I missing something?
Don

Hi Don,

The Wifi doesn't quite make it indoors in my home..Once or twice it did,but the clubhouse is just across the street.The bottom of my doorsteps is the outer limit.So inside the clubhouse the curfew is 10pm,which is kinda good anyway since it keeps me from staying up too late.I do miss my you-tube music videos the most,which would be nice to have in my home.for now I bought a good antenna for my stereo

Steve

I have a TV in the closet just next to my desk in my study... it's on some of the time to make noise since I rarely turn on the speakers on the computer.... more often than not I have a music station on and listen to jazz while I play on the computer.

Favorite tv shows... NCIS, NCIS LA, NCIS New Orleans (although I would rather the LA version be on in it's place), HGTV (House hunters, HH intl., Flip or flop, Fixer upper, etc...) and I still watch or listen to the old Murder she wrote shows. ... not much else.

To just sit and watch TV is a downer... usually will go to sleep pretty quick after I relax that way.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
We still have cable TV, and watch it maybe 2 hrs a week... It is a bundled service for our house's internet. I could do without it; wife does use it a bit. Maybe be totally empty nest this fall, so we'll see.

stonepecker

Our TV's go on at 5am. There is always at least one on.
Three are hooked up to cable. Two are just for local stations.

Mostly for news/weather/background noise........if I plan to watch something. Everything else stops.
We don't have music on them........we do have two recievers and one radio for music.
WE also have DVD players for when we just want a certain movie.

Live without TV? NOPE
Live without sleep...........that we have done.

BTW, the bedroom TV has a sleep timer.

ttpenman

Cut the cable a year ago (after 50+years). Do miss it but with internet you can get a lot of network TV these days. Have Amazon Prime and Ruku which are both quite good. I watch a lot of movies. Missed PBS until I got the Roku box. Now everything but do get This Old House and Ask This Old House.

Might get a DISH but don't think I'll ever go back to cable --evil companies!!

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

mecompco

We had no cable or Internet for about a year and a half. We now have just Internet--being in IT, it is rather useful. We watch Netflix and Amazon Prime (and I spend a lot of time on YouTube).

You can get an antenna to grab that wifi signal that ends at your door step pretty reasonably.

Regards,
Michael

ossaguy

We had no cable or Internet for about a year and a half. We now have just Internet--being in IT, it is rather useful. We watch Netflix and Amazon Prime (and I spend a lot of time on YouTube).

You can get an antenna to grab that wifi signal that ends at your door step pretty reasonably.

Regards,
Michael

Wow,I did not know that they make an antenna for that,I'll go down to Fry's and ask.

I did pickup an antenna for the TV,and no channels would come in.I made sure I had it in the Air mode,but just snow.I returned it,and found it had been returned already they said.

I saw some at Home Depot,and almost every box was re taped up,like they were all returned too.

I lucked out,and today my boss gave me a VCR player unit that we no longer use.It is a stand alone player.The mobile home clubhouse has a huge library of VCR tapes,so I can just check one for free when I want a movie night.

Thanks,
Steve

Tom T

We have not watched TV for about 20 years or so. The kids left about 14 years ago. We were paying a big cable bill up until about three years ago. Peggy says life is fine with out TV. Who really wants to invite those mean fighting and kids are smarter than the parents people into there home every night. We read work on pens. Have a general good time with out it. We do have inter net for $63.00 and Roku box so we have watched a show or two form time to time, like under cover boss. Then I saw they were four or so years old. The news is a complete downer. Every one is bad every one had died every body gets blown up. No one makes a right decision. Oh did I say they lied. And now I found out there are more than two diffrent sex's. The news is not for me. Thank you for asking the question. I like to think happier thoughts.

Bean_Counter

We cut the cable out almost a year ago and haven't looked back. We maybe have the tv on for about 2 hours a week. My 2 year old gets to watch a movie here and there but no network or cable tv. Funny when I was growing up I always said I'll never shelter my kids, my goal now is to keep him as innocent as long as I can. It's a nasty world out there why get him started in it early. The news is a downer, always trying to scare you, and rarely anything positive comes out of it. Just my 2 cents

Scott

Our contract with DirecTV was up in February, so we cancelled it. We have an Amazon Fire TV, and we have more than enough to watch by streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime. I am enjoying the freedom allowed by this arrangement. Good luck!

Scott.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you have a DVD player on your computer... Check out your local library! Our's has several thousand DVD's and I can keep them for 2 weeks. They also have VCR's too.

Rick_G

We got rid of the cable 12 years ago when we moved here. Used one of those little saucer type antennas . When everything went digital we sprung for a good antenna. Before everything went digital over the air we got 24 channels after digital we now have 36 nearly all in digital HD. We get our favourite shows like NCIS and a couple of the game shows the wife likes. I prefer to spend my time in the shop. She went home for a couple weeks a couple years ago and I never even turned it on. I prefer the utube woodworking videos where I can actually learn something or see how someone else does something instead of mind numbing entertainment for the masses. The wife will sometimes watch some of those celebrity gossip shows until I come in the room and the channel gets changed pretty fast. To me a actor/celebrity is someone who looks pretty after a couple hours with a makeup artist and can repeat lines someone else wrote for them.

sbwertz

The last time our TV was turned on was for the superbowl! I have several tv shows I like, but my husband doesn't like to watch TV so I watch them on the internet.

stonepecker

Just returned from 8 days camping.

What is the first thing I do..........Find CNN

I missed what was happening. No Internet. Quiet. No Phone. Peacefull. Didn't even get a paper. Now I am back and just spent 2.5 hours sorting mail and listening to what is news.

Back to the grind tomorrow.

Top Bottom