Less Expensive Source for InkJet Cartridges - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Hi Folks:

I have Googled around but I thought I would ask all the great and frugal minds.

I have a Canon inkjet and want to buy Canon Inkjet cartridges. Anyone have a source.

Please note:
I do not want to refill them at Costco or anywhere else (tried that many times)

I do not want to buy a laser jet (have that...don't want to do that).

Thank you all very much. Happy turning and best to all!
Let me start by saying that I am not a conspiracy freak. All ink cartridges that I am familiar with have a micro chip in them behind the brass colored connecting strips. The chip keeps count of the number of times the cart fires. When it reaches a number determined by the manufacturer, it reports that it is out of ink and stops printing. You can purchase a chip re-setter for your printer on the internet for around $15. Once re-set, the cart will start to print again until it is actually empty. My brother is a professional photographer and does the with his Epson Photo printer. By re-setting the chips he is able to print 15 -20 additional 8x10 color photos. I use one on my Epson and also on my HP.

Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

It might be a bit more expensive but I use Staples for office products. I have a Brother MP-240. I can either order online and pick up at the store or go to the store for anything. They give credit for returned empty ink cartridges. I also have a service contract for my laptop. One charge for a year is cheaper than paying each time I have a glitch.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Thank you.

Getting a few more copies out of OEM cartridges may be my best way to reduce costs. I have never owned a printer that "liked" non-OEM cartridges: between the error messages and inconsistent print quality that I experienced, it just wasn't worth the hassle. I am glad that some report a much better experience than mine.

Thanks folks. I can put a cap on this one :-)

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Tony,

Canon is one of the OEM's leading the charge on "counterfeit" toner cartridges. They have been successful in court, so most offshore makers of toner have stopped violating their copyrights and patents.

One result, they are able to "fair trade" their products (discourage price competition). Of course all of this is written up in the copier trade journals (as you know, I have been a copier reseller for over 40 years, in my "real job"), but has been pretty quiet everywhere else.

As you evaluate future copier-printer purchases, cost per copy should always be a consideration. The trouble is, few sales reps at the "box stores" will know the cost per copy and many of the "statistics" available are dead wrong. So, in short, cost per copy is likely to rise and competition is likely to be reduced--a good time for me to find a different career!! (see signature line)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishman View Post
In the last year, the discounting stopped and everyone now sells them at the same price.
Thats from the Printer manufactures all the profit is in cartridges. I think they even worked around the hack of buying a new printer just to get new ink.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Thank you.

Getting a few more copies out of OEM cartridges may be my best way to reduce costs. I have never owned a printer that "liked" non-OEM cartridges: between the error messages and inconsistent print quality that I experienced, it just wasn't worth the hassle. I am glad that some report a much better experience than mine.

Thanks folks. I can put a cap on this one :-)
My Epson used tanks so it was easy to get the tanks refilled and the chip reset. I used to go to a kiosk in mall and have them refilled. One day I went to the spot and it was gone. Not an empty kiosk, completely gone. Not even a discolored spot on the floor where it used to be.

But the issue was if the head got damaged I was SOL since it didn't get replaced on each cartridge swap.

Now at work my inkjet uses 440ml cartridges, 2 per color, and prints 53" wide :) If I need to replace the head I think its a couple k.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 58

Tony, have you checked out Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

They have the three pack of color for $37.00. These are not the XL packs but they may be cheaper than other places.
eharri446 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Thank you. I don't use any color cartridges only the XXL black. I am good. Thank you all very much though. :-)

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Tony,

I have been printing in color for 25 years; most of that overseas in Japan. I have been disgusted with the price of OEM but when I went to refills, I began having problems in black and color. I could get by for one round of refill but after that, I had problems all the way around. I never had that problem with OEMS. This is on Epson, and Canon.

I too have been searching for a decent priced OEM sale, or even somewhat of a discount on OEMs.

I have seriously been looking at Epson continuous refill printers where they sell the ink in bulk. Those printers are higher but the long run looks like it will they will be cost effective.

I print in bulk at the end of the month and then don't print much for the next 25 days. I think this is where the refills cause problems - the 25 days of unused causes non OEMs to clog up, IMO.

Thanks for posting this.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 11-16-2017 at 08:18 AM.
leehljp is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

Not related to cost but has anyone compared light fastness of these inks? In years past IJ was very prone to UV fade.
PatrickR is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads