Learning from mistakes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I struggled for several hours yesterday working on a pen. I made numerous mistakes and worked my way through most of them only to have a disaster in the last stages of the project. I planned to get up this morning and try to save the pen, instead I started from scratch and finished a pen in relatively short order. I would share a pic but think that I will enter it into one of the contests. I guess that experience truly is the best teacher.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I frequently hear similar tales on the telephone!! One of my favorite observations: WE spend a lot of time focusing on our mistakes. But, once in a while things go RIGHT!!! Stop after a couple of GOOD passes and look at what you are doing WELL, then try to repeat it!!

Success breeds success--IF your mind absorbs the technique that is WORKING for YOU!!

FWIW!!
Ed

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Bravo for you Cody!

I look forward to seeing the "better" result, and hopefully the "failed" result. Seeing what "worked" is often not as informative as what "didn't work."

I have been working on a new segmented/inlay pattern, and it is also not working (YET!).

Ambidex

Another mistake we make (at least I did) is trying to emulate the techniques and results of others exactly. I didn't have much fun trying to copy others and seemingly never getting the results they did. Finally, (as I'm a slow learner) I started doing things my way until I got them right and started having a LOT of fun. I might be one of a very few still using a 3/4" roughing gouge to turn my pens as it works very well for me. I'm not saying there isn't a plethora of knowledge and skills to be learned here, but applying them in your own style makes a world of difference in the enjoyment of this art. Art meaning this madly addicting hobby:wink:

Jim Smith

To quote Thomas Edison when asked why he failed so many times when trying to invent the lightbulb.

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have
succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have
eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will
work." Thomas Edison.

You're right. Experience is the best teacher but without perseverance, you will not succeed. I can't wait to see the pen.

Jim Smith

Top Bottom