A learning experience

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Don't judge this too harshly. It's my first attempt at this type of turning (I'm not even sure what you call it) and I knew it would be a learning experience and boy was it. I used some maple that I had lying around rather than a nice piece of burl that I purchased to do one of these. First off, I added blue pearl-ex powder to give it some blue color. I added too much so it's not as transparent as I would like. Secondly, my whale was less dense than the alumilite. I suspended with fishing line thinking it would sink, it actually floated upward in the pressure pot. This contributed to other issues. I mixed up some more alumilite to pour on top of the cast but dropped the cup creating one heck of a mess. After cleaning up my mess I mixed up the remainder of my resin but did not have enough to get the depth that I wanted. This caused my whale to be to close to the top and did not give me room to make a sphere. Despite my issues, I think this is a promising start.

9EA01146-5682-4528-B3E5-7CDBAF5CCA51.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As a SCUBA diver, I believe this view of your cast is just about perfect. Pristine clarity is a special occurrence that is appreciated, but it is usually within 30-40-50 feet. And at depth, colors disappear resulting is much of what you ended up with.

Superb! A desk paperweight??

Cwalker935

As a SCUBA diver, I believe this view of your cast is just about perfect. Pristine clarity is a special occurrence that is appreciated, but it is usually within 30-40-50 feet. And at depth, colors disappear resulting is much of what you ended up with.

Superb! A desk paperweight??

Thanks. It's whatever Lida wants it to be. She did mention paperweight.

WriteON

Nothing looks right when we start... It gets better and produced faster after while. You are commended for getting started and taking a shot.

Top Bottom