International Association of Penturners

International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/)
-   Casual Conversation (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/)
-   -   Lathe pen press (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/lathe-pen-press-157700/)

sbwertz 12-19-2018 08:30 PM

Lathe pen press
 
Has anyone used the lathe pen press from Craft Supplies? I have three blind turners just getting started with lathes at home, and it looks like it would be a great fit for them. It gives much better control than a lever operated pen press.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...rm=pen%20press

WriteON 12-19-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbwertz (Post 2004410)
Has anyone used the lathe pen press from Craft Supplies? I have three blind turners just getting started with lathes at home, and it looks like it would be a great fit for them. It gives much better control than a lever operated pen press.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...rm=pen%20press

I would go for it. I use the PSI 2 piece set up. Same principle. Easier & substantially cheaper.

sbwertz 12-19-2018 08:56 PM

Thanks, Frank. The PSI one looks like it would do just as well for half the price.

WriteON 12-19-2018 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbwertz (Post 2004416)
Thanks, Frank. The PSI one looks like it would do just as well for half the price.

There are small magnets in the center. Youíll want to glue them in place. They tend to come loose and attach to the head and tail stock. Youíll understand when you see it. Iím sorry I did not buy these before getting the lever presses. Simple. Cheap. Effective.

magpens 12-19-2018 11:34 PM

If you are careful, you can do the pressing on a lathe without buying anything.
All you need is a couple of 1/2" Alumilite "dowel stubs" and a tailstock chuck that will take the 1/2" size. . You could even get by with 3/8". . I use such dowel stubs. . Just make sure that the ends are squared to the axis. . I use Alumilite because it is less likely to chip under pressure, but you can use PR if you are careful. . You could even use hardwood or brass. . I don't see the need for anything but squared flat ends ... but I am not blind, so that may be a factor for those less fortunate than me ! . The key is to keep the pressure points at the center of the stubs.

TattooedTurner 12-20-2018 12:49 AM

I have the one from CSUSA and love it. The nice thing about the pin that goes in one of the pieces is the diameter is the size of a pen mandrel. This allows you to slide a bushing over it which gives more support when pressing the parts in as well as automatically centering the barrel. Simple but clever, and might be enough of an advantage for your blind turners to justify the higher cost.

sbwertz 12-20-2018 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedTurner (Post 2004441)
I have the one from CSUSA and love it. The nice thing about the pin that goes in one of the pieces is the diameter is the size of a pen mandrel. This allows you to slide a bushing over it which gives more support when pressing the parts in as well as automatically centering the barrel. Simple but clever, and might be enough of an advantage for your blind turners to justify the higher cost.

Thanks, that is a good point.

TonyL 12-21-2018 11:17 PM

They are my favorite ones to use. I have about 4 different pen presses. I feel that I have the most control over the assembly with these.
Try the CSUSA ones; I will send you the funds via PP. My treat. Then you can compare them. If you accept my offer, send me the amount with tax and shipping of cost and I will send you the funds for a set.

greenacres2 12-22-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyL (Post 2004793)
They are my favorite ones to use. I have about 4 different pen presses. I feel that I have the most control over the assembly with these.
Try the CSUSA ones; I will send you the funds via PP. My treat. Then you can compare them. If you accept my offer, send me the amount with tax and shipping of cost and I will send you the funds for a set.

I love this community. Just sayin'.
earl

turncrazy43 12-22-2018 09:19 AM

I have used the CSUSA set now for sometime. Bought them when they were $14 a set. They work great and I have put together several hundred pens with the same set. Agree they are much more controllable than the regular pen presses.
Tony, thanks for stepping up on this one.
Turncrazy43


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Content Copyright © 2003-2019 by Penturners.org, LLC; All Rights Reserved