Lathe Ka-put :-(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewboy22

There I was minding my old business trying to make a spool for giggles and with a slip if the hand I messed it up.

20150916_154600_resized_zpsb93ea6b7.jpg

I chucked another piece up and noticed a strange noise. I reached for the off switch and everything stopped. Looks like the pulley came off the drive shaft. I'm not sure if the set screw vibrated loose or some thing else but it looks like I got some filing to do.

20150916_154819_resized_zps9104e19b.jpg

20150916_154809_resized_zps43bafbb2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

You can see where the loose set screw cut through the shaft after it loosened because there are no cut marks on the flat.
You might want to put some loctite on the set screw threads. Remember that stuff is soft iron so don't get too carried away with tightening it or use two set screws. Use the loctite.

Drewboy22

You can see where the loose set screw cut through the shaft after it loosened because there are no cut marks on the flat.
You might want to put some loctite on the set screw threads. Remember that stuff is soft iron so don't get too carried away with tightening it or use two set screws. Use the loctite.

Good call Tom. I got the the pulleys lined back up and lock tited and almost ready to go. The shroud got bent a little when the belt came off I guess so I have to straighten it back out to keep the belt from rubbing. But it all looks like it's coming back together :cool:

low_48

Not sure you have the right motor on that lathe. Lots of dust in the slots of the housing, assume it's not totally enclosed. Better take some time to blow that thing out a little more, or you will need some of that "grow on trees money" to buy a new motor.

Skie_M

Nice catch, Low 48.

I'ld say ... grab some Scotch Brite pads and glue pieces around those vent holes to catch the worst of the dust, like a filter! Just make sure it's the INTAKE side, rather than the outgoing ... you don't want to trap the dust in the motor!

Drewboy22

Not sure you have the right motor on that lathe. Lots of dust in the slots of the housing, assume it's not totally enclosed. Better take some time to blow that thing out a little more, or you will need some of that "grow on trees money" to buy a new motor.

According to the googler the part numbers match. But I agree with the dust.
Nice catch, Low 48.

I'ld say ... grab some Scotch Brite pads and glue pieces around those vent holes to catch the worst of the dust, like a filter! Just make sure it's the INTAKE side, rather than the outgoing ... you don't want to trap the dust in the motor!

There is a cover goes over the belts, pulleys and that side of the motor. I just have it off to fix it. The sb pads are a good idea, I will look into that.

Drewboy22

For those keep up with this, I did get the shaft sanded smooth and the burrs off the the flat spot. I put the pulleys and and got them all lined up and noticed the belt was rubbing on the shroud, so I got that straightened out. Everything is put back together and seems to be running smoothly. Let's hope i stays that way :)

Thanks for the helps guys

Top Bottom