Lathe gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Finally slipped right down that slippery slope to a $1800 credit card bill... But it was worth it!! I went and bought the general international 26-650. 16"X42". digital speed readout, infinite speed control, 1.5 HP. Swiveling headstock, moveable headstock (headstock travels up and down the bed). After I got it home and set up, and looked at all that extra capability, size and convenience, what's the first thing I turned? You guessed it, a pen.
What can I say? I had an order to fill!! Here's a link to check out the picture.

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25650a.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Dave, I think that's too much lathe for you. I'll tell you what, I'll buy it off of you for the incredibly generous price of $100 (including shipping, of course).

Congratulations, and good luck with it! I find it odd that they got a design patent on the lathe.

Doghouse

Got your v-mail this morning. Have been busy all morning. Congrats, its astounding how much easier it is when you have the HP to back up what you are doing....

dubdrvrkev

I took a real serious look at that lathe at the WW show here a few weeks back. I was pretty close but I really wanted the DVR so...

Congrats! A very nice machine indeed.

btboone

Nice equipment. I'm with Jim, I don't get the design patentability of it either. Maybe a utility patent for the features of the revolving headstock, but a design patent? It looks pretty much like a lathe. A design patent is just for the ornamental appearance of a thing.

You never apologize for getting better equipment. I'm struggling with an equipment issue like that now. The only issue is that one thing costs about 12x as much as the other, but is a much higher quality machine. My philosophy has always to get the best equipment you can afford. I'm just having a hard time with the 12x factor. [|)]

JimGo

Originally posted by daveturns05
What's that about a design patent?

Sorry Dave, that's my line of work. The web site mentioned something about a design patent, which, as Bruce mentioned, only covers the ornamental design of the item, not any unusual, useful features about the lathe. Which makes it really odd that they would spend the money on it, rather than a "utility" patent.

All that is basically my way of saying I'm jealous of your lathe, and am tying to change the subject as best I can! [:D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by btboone
<br /> I'm just having a hard time with the 12x factor. [|)]

Did you figure out how to take it with you when you pass on?
Go with your instinct. You said you get the best you can afford, can you afford it? Since it's real easy for me to help spend your money I would say go for it!

Woodnknots

I turned my first "large" piece of wood on it last night. It's only about 12" in diameter, but that's about 5" larger than I could do before. I didn't have time to finish it, I'll do that tonight. I'm working myself up to turning something outboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom