Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikeshullo

Can I have some recommendations for good lathes that are out there. Ultimately I am wanting to make pens and I see there are some requirements a lathe needs to do that. Any specs and prices to look for would be helpful.

Thank you,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Hi Mike!
You will probably get many different thoughts and recommendations on lathes. Therefore, I am not going to point you towards one in particular lathe nor do I know your proposed budget. Some say to buy your second lathe first as you will outgrow your first lathe in a while. The bottom dollar lathes don't have much resale value. Carefully consider your purchase realizing you will be spending on chisels, chucks, centers, a grinder set up and other goodies as well.
I usually recommend buying quality if the budget is there.

Here is a good read on lathes from Carl Ford. It is lengthy but chocked with excellent info.
Good luck on your choice!

So you want to buy a lathe? A real lathe? | Carl Ford's Woodturning Blog

greenacres2

Like many I started on a Harbor Freight. In less than 6 months (more like 4) a spindle bearing started going. I stepped up to a Rikon VS and have issues with the tailstock as well as it cutting out and giving a wierd error code. If I knew then what I do now, I would've started with a small Jet. You'll probably want variable speed since constantly changing pulleys gets old real fast, not to mention turning/sanding/finishing at a preset speed instead of what you prefer. IMHO I think either a good used lathe or just spending a bit more on a Jet VS is the way to go. I wish I did...

TonyL

There are many:
I own several..my favorite for pen turning is the Jet 1221 EVS.
I like this model because I can perform all of the pen turning steps without have to change a belt/pulley. I own 3 Jets and a Rikon and even the smallest HF which I don't think they make any more. I used it for applying CA, and I have made a very good pen using it.
However, I have not tried them all (all lathe models and brands) - so not fair for me to give you a full recommendation.

You will find the right one for your level of interest and budget. Happy shopping!

Woodchipper

I bought A Rikon 70-050VS but it has been replaced with another model. Has a five year warranty. Harbor Freight doesn't have a long warranty- usually 90 days and then you buy an extended warranty. My first lathe was a HF. There are a lot of lathes out there. Keep in mind that some are made in the same factory with only a different paint job.
FWIW, the guy I bought my HF lathe from made all kinds of bowls and had bought a Jet, don't know the model.

DavidD

Hi Mike,

I have four lathes dedicated to pen turning and my favorite is actually the cheapest, the Rikon VS 70-220. If you're near a Woodcraft store, these go on sale at least 3-4 times a year. Compared to my JETs and Laguna, I prefer this because it is so quiet!

David

tomas

I bought my Jet midi on Craig's list. It came with the stand, VS, basic chucks, and a set of Sorbe tools - $300 delivered. I would not buy another lathe without VS (I did all my work on a ShopSmith for 20 yrs and got spoiled).

Tomas

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have several jets and a delta. I slightly prefer the delta, controls are better located. But I would recommend either. Used and cheap is good!!

I won't recommend any one brand as I only know about my JET's, but I would recommend you buy the largest lathe you can afford... you will outgrow the small one pretty quick.... I have a JET 1014 that is mostly a buffing machine now and do all my turning on a JET1442 and wish I had gone up one more step to the 1642.... get EVS if you can, mine is a Reeves unit and while it works well, there are some draw backs.... you can turn pens on a larger lathe as well as a small and as Charlie W said you are going to need all the accessories to go with it and they are pricey, so you want good ones up front.

sbwertz

Rockler has their little Excaliber lathe and the bed extension on sale this week. I've had mine for seven years and it has been totally trouble free.

Mikeshullo

Thank you everyone. You have all given me me some good info I've been looking at everything you all have been mentioning. I see some used items that maybe good but concerned if there is anything wrong or out of alignment and be out more money trying to save a few bucks. A large one might be out of the question right now given my space unless I can make something work. A vs defiantly seems to be the way to go. Right now I'm looking at a Rikon from woodcraft they have a good 5 yr warranty the size and price are good my second choice currently is a jet I have always heard good things from that brand but I will need to wait to reach some of those prices I am definitely a believer in waiting to buy a better one first. So again thank you all and if I still get more comments I will still appreciate them and if I remember how to find this thread when I make my final decision or purchase I will definitely update you.

Mikeshullo

I ended up getting a turncrafter commander. 12" by up to 40" vs two belts goes down to about 150-4000 rpm. Paid 300$ Was only used about 5 times.

Top Bottom