Lathe - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Lathe

Can I have some recommendations for good lathes that are out there. Ultimately I am wanting to make pens and I see there are some requirements a lathe needs to do that. Any specs and prices to look for would be helpful.

Thank you,
Mike
Mikeshullo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Hi Mike!
You will probably get many different thoughts and recommendations on lathes. Therefore, I am not going to point you towards one in particular lathe nor do I know your proposed budget. Some say to buy your second lathe first as you will outgrow your first lathe in a while. The bottom dollar lathes donít have much resale value. Carefully consider your purchase realizing you will be spending on chisels, chucks, centers, a grinder set up and other goodies as well.
I usually recommend buying quality if the budget is there.

Here is a good read on lathes from Carl Ford. It is lengthy but chocked with excellent info.
Good luck on your choice!

So you want to buy a lathe? A real lathe? | Carl Ford's Woodturning Blog
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check on Craigslist for used lathes, find some in your budget range and then link to those lathes. If I needed a lathe, I would be getting this one, https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tl...661736007.html

I already have one, it does all I ask of it.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Check on Craigslist for used lathes, find some in your budget range and then link to those lathes. If I needed a lathe, I would be getting this one, https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tl...661736007.html

I already have one, it does all I ask of it.
That's a good price on that kit. If it was within 2 hours i'd buy it. (or if the Cubs were playing in Pittsburg soon I could easily talk my wife into a road trip!!)
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 260

Like many I started on a Harbor Freight. In less than 6 months (more like 4) a spindle bearing started going. I stepped up to a Rikon VS and have issues with the tailstock as well as it cutting out and giving a wierd error code. If I knew then what I do now, I would’ve started with a small Jet. You’ll probably want variable speed since constantly changing pulleys gets old real fast, not to mention turning/sanding/finishing at a preset speed instead of what you prefer. IMHO I think either a good used lathe or just spending a bit more on a Jet VS is the way to go. I wish I did...
Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

There are many:
I own several..my favorite for pen turning is the Jet 1221 EVS.
I like this model because I can perform all of the pen turning steps without have to change a belt/pulley. I own 3 Jets and a Rikon and even the smallest HF which I don't think they make any more. I used it for applying CA, and I have made a very good pen using it.
However, I have not tried them all (all lathe models and brands) - so not fair for me to give you a full recommendation.

You will find the right one for your level of interest and budget. Happy shopping!

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I bought A Rikon 70-050VS but it has been replaced with another model. Has a five year warranty. Harbor Freight doesn't have a long warranty- usually 90 days and then you buy an extended warranty. My first lathe was a HF. There are a lot of lathes out there. Keep in mind that some are made in the same factory with only a different paint job.
FWIW, the guy I bought my HF lathe from made all kinds of bowls and had bought a Jet, don't know the model.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Hi Mike,

I have four lathes dedicated to pen turning and my favorite is actually the cheapest, the Rikon VS 70-220. If you're near a Woodcraft store, these go on sale at least 3-4 times a year. Compared to my JETs and Laguna, I prefer this because it is so quiet!

David
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

I bought my Jet midi on Craig's list. It came with the stand, VS, basic chucks, and a set of Sorbe tools - $300 delivered. I would not buy another lathe without VS (I did all my work on a ShopSmith for 20 yrs and got spoiled).

Tomas
tomas is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Delta Midi; wonderful machine. Got mine on a newspaper adv. while it was still in the box and paid 55% of list! Good deal of the decade.

Last edited by philipff; 08-12-2018 at 09:09 AM.
philipff is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads