Last Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Today is my last day of work. I have 40 plus years of service and had gotten to the point where dragging my sorry butt out of bed and dragging it to work was becoming too much of a chore. I had decided that I was one bad day away from retiring. I had my bad day a few months ago, gave notice, helped with the transition for the people taking over my duties (yes people not person, perhaps I should have been getting paid more) and now am waiting on the final step in the off-boarding process. I will miss the people but not the work so this has been a bittersweet week of goodbyes and anticipation of a major life change.

IMG_0169.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Congratulations... now you can really get busy.

In 2005 I woke one morning in August and said to LOML, hey today is August 25, I've been in my industry for 40 years as of today.... it later hit me what I said, we needed to wait two more months until LOML turned 62 so she could also take early retirement... I was 64 at the time... we retired the first of October and moved to TN that week. Haven't regretted one minute of it.

I can now sleep until 8 o'clock in the morning instead of being up at 5 am, commuting an hour to work and being in the office at 7 to 7:30 am... no more stress dealing with government rules, steamship rules, airline rules and customers that don't understand the rules (or really care about them)...

Have fun now. :banana::bananen_smilies068:

Bill Sampson

Cody,
When I retired, a wise woodworker gave me the following advice:

"When you retire, people will think you have all the time in the world and will attempt to take advantage of it. Just say NO for the first year, and adjust to YOUR retirement at the pace you want to use YOUR time. Any lifestyle change should be a decision of you and your family."

I'm not sure I adhered completely to that advise, but it did cause me to think before I allowed someone to take undue advantage of my time.

Congrats on the beginning of a change in your life.

Bill

SteveJ

Congratulations Cody! Retirement isn't that close for me, but once I turned 60 I started thinking more seriously about what lies ahead! I love most of my job, but I too often think that I am one bad day from calling it quits!

Woodchipper

I retired in September, 2009 and never looked back. However, you will find you will be busier that when you were working. I had a friend who retired about six months from a local industry after me. With all he had on his plate, he couldn't figure when he found time to work!
Enjoy your retirement. Make lots of pens. Spend time together. My wife and I had planned a fishing trip today but they are calling for rain the next two days. Tomorrow will be grocery shopping to take advantage of some sales. Our highlight of our lives is going to the recycling center. Nothing like spending quality time together!

eharri446

I wish that I could finally retire. I am 66 and looking at having to work until I am 70 to be able to make a go of it. The good side is that I am drawing my full salary as a IT professional with over 30 years experience and my social security.

My wife will start drawing her social security based on mine in March 2018. Then maybe we can finally decide where we want to retire to.

MTViper

Congrats Cody, I know whereof you speak. I've retired twice from 2 different careers. In both, I've gone on the 1 and 30 retirement system late in my careers. That means "tic me off ONE more time and i'll be outta here in 30 days". Life is good in retirement.

OZturner

Terrific News Cody,
Now you can do just what you enjoy, and you will soon find out that you just wouldn't have had sufficient time for Work.

I have been retired for 17 years. I was working at our UK Plant, in 1999, installing the Software to avoid our "Y2K" Calamity, when our Corporate Owners decided to sell our Division, to another Multi National Entity.
So after I returned from the UK to Australia, and saw through the successful transition.
Because I was on Corporate Staff, I was "Persona Non Gratis" with our new owners, and therefore Expendable, and Retrenched. :eek:
I was 62 at that stage, and I didn't know whether I could get another position at my age, and as to whether I could retire on my Severance, Super Annuation (Pension Scheme), and our Savings and Investments.
So I spent 6 months, obtained a Casual Consultancy Contract, so that put that part of my mind at rest, while, my Financial Adviser, worked over all the Options, and Told me that I could Retire. :biggrin:
Apart for working for my Children, for Gratis, My Woodturning, and Pen Making, these last 17 years have left me with a lot of, "I Wunna" Things to build one day. :cool:
And provided that the Good Lord agree's I will get most of them done, One Day. :rolleyes:
I am having the Time of My Life, for the last 17 years.
Make the Most of it Cody, :highfive:
Brian.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

So I have one day of retirement behind me and a week of my daughter's final wedding preparations ahead of me but I am already struggling with what happens next. I am facing some tough problems:

-one nap or two each day
-where do I hide when my wife gets that we have a project look in her eye
-how do I cope with my daughters when they say "Daddy I love you, could you....."
-do I do a bowl, pen, or something else today
-do I shave, if so how often
-should I golf, hike, go fishing or some combination this week

I did not realize retirement was going to be so tough.

sbwertz

I have my own computer consulting business and have been trying to retire for 17 years. It just won't "take" though. I no longer have business clients, just individuals, mostly seniors. I stopped taking business clients because if I want to take a month off and travel, I couldn't do that with business clients. Most of my seniors I can help with remote control software from anywhere there is internet. Every time I say the R word, my geriatric set go into panic. I started most of them with their first computer, and they have never worked with anyone else. Most are 75 years old and up...some in their 90s now.

Rick_G

Congratulations Cody, you won't regret it. Just be sure you have hobbies or something to keep you busy. One month after I turned 55 the company I worked for decided to downsize. Wanted to get rid of 2000 people. They offered a cash buyout, earned pension, dental and drug plan stayed with us for life. I had the paperwork filled out almost before it hit the table. That was 15 years ago and I have never regretted it. Got around the people asking for things by moving out of the city to a small town closer to my family and no more driving through Toronto to visit them. As long as you have something to do you will enjoy it do what you want when you are in the mood not when somebody else wants you to. Enjoy

Top Bottom