Lasers, Lasers and More Lasers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I had the opportunity to spend the day in a laser shop yesterday. I'm doing a project for a customer that involves cutting very small (.004" wide) slots in .030" thick Stainless Steel.

The cutting laser we used was co-located in a Laser Engraving business. It was neat seeing some of the engraving they were doing. Everything from little leather doodads to stainless steel bracelets to basketballs. In their display case in the lobby were samples of some of the stuff they did. One of them was a wooden box, maybe 2-3 times the size of a pen box. It had "Craftsman" engraved, very deeply on the top. I'm assuming for some sort of micrometer or some other tool.

By the way, cutting metal with lasers is so cool....

-gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

I cut metal with a laser every day... .75 thick steel....It is kinda cool..lol

This was my first experience with a fiber laser. Cut a .003" wide slit in .030" 300 series stainless first try! Nice looking cut, almost no taper, very little burn on the bottom side.

As for the LazerBlade - I like the looks of this. Probably the best setup I've seen for the money. The 3W laser takes it out of the realm of a toy to that of a useful tool.

Gary

Top Bottom