Large Turning Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK... I have looked at all the obvious sites...

Early next year I want to make some Beads of Courage Boxes. I need turning blanks about 7" wide by 10" high. I am looking at a SWAT design in 2010 that I like. "Barrel Beads" Tom Crosby.

The wood should be reasonably dry, ready for final turning (I would rather not turn green and store for 6-12 months; done that).

Any suggestions for where to purchase? Oak is preferred, but Cherry, and Maple would work. Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks, and be well!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Final turned size: 6 1/2" W x 8 " H with an easy fit lid... Not a complicated box, but... I'd rather not do glue ups.

alankulwicki7

Are you looking for 7" square by 10" tall? I don't have any Oak but I may have some Maple, Cherry, Walnut etc that might work.
If you are interested in paying for the shipping, I can check to see what I can get in FRB....

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Are you looking for 7" square by 10" tall? I don't have any Oak but I may have some Maple, Cherry, Walnut etc that might work.
If you are interested in paying for the shipping, I can check to see what I can get in FRB....

Yes, Those dimensions are correct. I'll pay shipping and reimbursement. Maple, Walnut, Cherry are very cool!!! No hurry. :):)

jttheclockman

May I suggest you do some segmenting. This would be much more stable, easier to find, more creative and much easier to control. Just a thought. This is what I will do when I do get back to the shop. Plus I will adding some scrolling.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
2010 - 2010B

Hope this came through! Scroll to the last picture. That is the one I would like to make!!! "Beads Barrel". Just thought it would be cool; and can be totally turned...

Last edited:

robutacion

OK... I have looked at all the obvious sites...

Early next year I want to make some Beads of Courage Boxes. I need turning blanks about 7" wide by 10" high. I am looking at a SWAT design in 2010 that I like. "Barrel Beads" Tom Crosby.

The wood should be reasonably dry, ready for final turning (I would rather not turn green and store for 6-12 months; done that).

Any suggestions for where to purchase? Oak is preferred, but Cherry, and Maple would work. Just looking for suggestions.

Thanks, and be well!

G'day Mark,

OH boy, I wish you were closer...!

How many boxes do you need to make.???

I have the wood for that but I don't think the shipping costs would make if viable, I hope that you find someone locally with the wood you need, but if you get stuck, you let me know, even if I have to turn them myself and send them for you just to finish, they would be much lighter that way, I would use Macrocarpa and then you could dye them to imitate any wood you like.

Again, you shouldn't need to get to such extremes but if you do, I'm here to help...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'day Mark,

OH boy, I wish you were closer...!

How many boxes do you need to make.???

Again, you shouldn't need to get to such extremes but if you do, I'm here to help...!

Cheers
George

Cheers George:

All is well! And I also wish you and Merissa were closer. :frown:

This will be an easy issue to figure out! No worries, and yes. I know you would like to help!

I just want some larger blanks (1-2) for these lidded boxes. I'll find them locally and have fun with the "Beads Barrel." I have looked at this design for almost 2 years now, and when I have the time, this is my next "project"... yes, I have about 23 "projects" in the works :):):).

Thanks for the thought! If I need help - you are on my list!

Cheers, Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Magic and Scott... I'll get back with you in a day or so if I cannot find what I need. This is not a rush project, nor is the actual timber precise, just something I would like to do between Jan- March.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the help!!!

Get some sleep guys!

bobleibo

Hi Mark
That's a great project you have in mind. If you run out of options, there's a guy on eBay that I get some of my domestic lumber from like you mentioned when I can't find it locally. monitorseller | eBay and he will cut custom sizes if you need them for a reasonable price.
Bob~

alankulwicki7

Here's a couple of blocks you might have interest in. Both are silver maple. They have a little minor checking and one has some worm holes you could work around. Not sure if you wanted wood with a little character. I have some cherry and walnut but it may still be a little wet yet. I can cut these to any size you want.

Yours for the the cost of shipping :)

Attachments

• 20151222_103234.jpg
    20151222_103234.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20151222_103111.jpg
    20151222_103111.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 151

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Doug and Shawn - I'll keep my eyes locally, but you are on my list.

I appreciate the options!

Happy Holidays.

Top Bottom