Kubaton Key Chain

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryannmphs

So I had a pen customer want something a little different. She was looking for a kubaton (little stick, used for self defense) key chain. I said sure, I can make that :D!

Well I finally got around to it last night and this is what I came up with.
kubaton_Lignum_Vitae0001.JPG

I used the top of an ornament kit for the ring holder as it was all I had available. The wood is Lignum Vitae, sanded to 600.

The customer liked it so well, she's already ordered one more, with the possibility of 4 more after that :D

Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Ouch! An LV baton will certainly do the trick! That's a nice, simple design; I can see why she ordered more! Does the key ring holder swivel?

ilikewood

Hey Ryan...nice work.

I have made of few of these for some police friends of mine. I used Cocobolo and made sharper edges, but they all work the same (at least I wouldn't want them used on me !![:D])

ryannmphs

Thanks for the comments.

Jim, no the ring holder does not swivel, though I would like to find one that does.

Bill, the rounded end is better (IMHO) for pressure points. The smaller the area the more pressure is applied the pressure point. I thought about Coco, but since these may be for gifts I was worried about allergic reaction to the wood.

Thanks again.

Ryan

ilikewood

I personally don't have a clue how to use them. My friend (state trooper and jujitsu buff) designed them. He liked the sharper edges for pressure on the hands and knuckles. I don't ever plan on gettting them used on me cuz whether they are sharp or round, they look like they will hurt. [B)]

Wayne is right...the dust is the main prob with Coco.

Is there any laws in TN that regulate your making these? Are you going to add them to your sales stuff, cuz that LV one sure looks sharp. Just curious.

ryannmphs

Bill,
Honestly, I didn't know keychains were illegal[:p].

No, I don't know the legalities of it, but it is "just a keychain". Though I did caution my customer NOT to try to board a plane with it, it WILL be confiscated [:(!]. These are also only on a "special" request basis, so they will not be available in my "catalog".

Guess, I'll have to give the Coco a try then, thanks for the info.

Ryan

C_Ludwigsen

What y'all may not realize is Ryan does know how to use one. He is a 3rd degree black belt and trained bodyguard. I'm just glad he's in the FRIEND category [:D]

Looks good, Ryan. I would try the Cocobolo too. Purdy stuff.

melogic

Nice work Ryan. One of the lanyard pen twisty things would work good for a swivel or even a necklace for this. I see a lot of possibilities.

woodwish

I would disagree with Wayne about Cocobola, if it is raw wood is can cause contact dermatitis. Voice of experience here! Unless it is truly sealed with something impervious to the oils in cocobola it will continue to cause problems, it is the oil that causes the rashes. A coating of wax or an oil finish will not stop it, slow it down maybe but not stop it. I will agree that I am more sensitive than most people but one of those nice key chains in cocobola could cause real problems for a person with sensitivity to the oil in it. I think olivewood would be nicer, and safer than cocobola.

ryannmphs

What are the actual deminsions of this "key chain".

Somehow I just knew that question was going to come up[:)]

This "keychain" is about 3/4" diameter and 5.5" long. I made another one for the same customer last night that is .55" diameter and 5" long (she wanted slightly smaller and shorter for the second one).

Sorry no pic of the second one, I was too busy getting the wifes MP3 player working last night and just plane forgot to get a pic, sorry.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom