Koa Score

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I had 4 hours to kill today while waiting for my security pass to the Navy's Red Hill Fuel facility, so I went over to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet to pick up some souvenirs for the family. I also managed to find some nice Koa off-cuts at a reasonable price.

Attachments

• D2E85F65-4DDD-4DCF-BC6D-00CE8C27222D.jpg
    D2E85F65-4DDD-4DCF-BC6D-00CE8C27222D.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 215

Kenny Durrant

Sweet. My wife and I went to Maui a few years back and I ran across a woodworker that made trophies and plaques. He was very nice and showed me around his shop and when I told him I turned pens and other small projects he said he'd been waiting for someone like me to come along. He had several buckets and boxes full of cut offs of Koa, Monkey Pod and Pheasant Wood. I grabbed all I thought I could get packed in my luggage to take home and when I asked what I owed, he just smiled and said nothing. He said it wouldn't do him any good and he didn't want to throw it away.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sweet. My wife and I went to Maui a few years back and I ran across a woodworker that made trophies and plaques. He was very nice and showed me around his shop and when I told him I turned pens and other small projects he said he'd been waiting for someone like me to come along. He had several buckets and boxes full of cut offs of Koa, Monkey Pod and Pheasant Wood. I grabbed all I thought I could get packed in my luggage to take home and when I asked what I owed, he just smiled and said nothing. He said it wouldn't do him any good and he didn't want to throw it away.

It's hard to find anyone like that on Oahu. Everyone here seems to know what Koa is worth - even off-cuts.

I did score a really nice chunk of curly Koa today. It's about 2" x 6" x 36" - I gave one of the guys I work with over here a pen & he said, "I have a nice piece of Koa at home that you might like".

He didn't want anything for it, so I gave him another pen. He promised to keep an eye out for more next time.

Top Bottom