Kit advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
There was mention of making a pen for the young lady that was understanding about my dust collection hose.

I would prefer to cast a special blank just for this pen, however, I don't have any resin and I can't see purchasing resin for just a single pen. I'll have to choose something from my collection of cast blanks.

So, since I won't be casting that special blank, I would at least like to place it on a nice kit. Something that a lady would like, but not one of those novelty style pens.

Which kit would you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My wife really likes the Lancer kit from Woodturningz. I've also made several Sierra Elegant Beauty pens for ladies & they were well received.

Charlie_W

The Aero from CSUSA is similar to the Sierra line but a little smaller. Nice looking pen. I would stay away from the one that has the rose gold finish. I had two and both lost their finish. The other two plating options have been fine.

More4dan

Majestic Squire is my go to pen for a gift for a lady. Nice crystal in the clip.

487ecb781169de5c26f221c1b475a0dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
So the consensus seems to be a single barrel, twist pen?
I would have guessed that a click style would be more preferred.

duncsuss

I asked my wife about this a couple of years ago. It seems that "click pens" are often lumped in the same category as the cheap (or free) junk, whereas "twist pens" are seen as a higher class.

Something like the Majestic Squire or one of the Sierra/Mesa/Gatsby/LeRoi/WallSt family sounds perfect to me. I also like the Executive (twist pen).

Terredax

Banned
I've been looking at some of the kits.

Shipping varies from $6.99 - $8.71 for just one kit. With the cost of the kit, it will be close to $30.00, before I add a blank and the time to make it.
Some of the kits cost that alone.

I think I will have to determine an alternative.

sbwertz

The Patrizio makes a nice ladies pens. They are always one of the first pens to sell out at our fundraisers for the blind center. You can get six kits, and bushings in PSI's starter kit for about $38 with shipping about $7. I like to keep some on hand for "thank you" gifts. They aren't an expensive kit, but they are stylish and feminine.

PKPATPEN24_70x70.jpg

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
The Patrizio makes a nice ladies pens. They are always one of the first pens to sell out at our fundraisers for the blind center. You can get six kits, and bushings in PSI's starter kit for about $38 with shipping about $7. I like to keep some on hand for "thank you" gifts. They aren't an expensive kit, but they are stylish and feminine.

PKPATPEN24_70x70.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Sharon. I'll take a look at those.

Check for a Rockler or Woodcraft store near you. They may carry what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Back when I was making pens, only a few, I checked for those stores along with any other woodworking stores near me. The only thing that came up was a Woodcraft about 75 miles away. Then I found out they had closed a couple of years earlier.
All of the pen kits that I had, and the associated tools, were ordered from catalogs and internet.

Top Bottom