Keeping track of bushings & drill bits - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
JRK

Photos: 1

Default Keeping track of bushings & drill bits

How do you keep from mixing up your bushings.

I found this at Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6-...5-03/301959984

Thought it might make a good was to store my bushings when not in use. I thought I would make labels to ID the pen kit and drill size needed. Possibly label the container Penn State, Rockler, Woodcraft, etc....

I also found an item home depot, thought it might be good to organize the drill bits. I can't find a link for it at Home Depot.
https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW21...s%2C149&sr=8-5

I kind of want to keep the pen drill separate from my other drills.

Jerry
JRK is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 104

I use something similar but with more compartments. I just started doing that. I try to keep in plastic bags and mark the bags. Another suggestion I read one time which is a good one is use a engraver and either make up a code and have a number system and chart to match numbers. But make multiple copies of the chart because we all misplace things.

My Photo Album
JRK
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I use these from Harbor Freight: 24 Box Storage System. Each small box is the perfect size for a set of bushings and you can keep 24 of them together in the case (I just had to upgrade to a second set ). Best of all, they are cheap!

Hope this helps.

"Nobody move... I dropped me brain!" - Captain Jack Sparrow

dthayer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
JRK

The one I have would only hold 6 sets, but I like the smaller footprint. They stack so I can buy more as needed.

Jerry
Old 03-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
JRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthayer View Post
I use these from Harbor Freight: 24 Box Storage System. Each small box is the perfect size for a set of bushings and you can keep 24 of them together in the case (I just had to upgrade to a second set ). Best of all, they are cheap!

Hope this helps.
Nice. Kind of a box of boxes.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Taking a page from the way Turner's Warehouse now packages their bushings, i picked up a supply of these https://www.amazon.com/Philips-13-Bl...s%2C159&sr=8-4 (purple was the cheapest when i bought mine). Have my label spreadsheet about ready to go, it will have the dimension, drill size and hardware names. Will probably shelf them by drill size or dimension. My spreadsheet can be sorted by hardware name, so easy enough to find the dimensions. Need to get back on that little project!!
earl
greenacres2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Plastic shoe boxes, large enough to hold an inventory of kits, the bushings, drill bits and any special blanks for that particular kit. They stack, and are clear enough to see what the inventory is when getting ready to order.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
JRK

Another thing. I had a problem with a busing stuck on the mandrel (Not CA, but friction polish). I asked the salesman at Rockler and he suggested soaking the mandrel and bushing in DNA.

I was able to the bushing off after soaking in DNA. I noticed a rough spot in the mandrel, and sanded a little to remove the roughness. I have not had that problem since.

Now I soak the bushings in DNA after use.

I am not sure about the plastic these cases are made of, wondering if DNA would attack the plastic.

The harbor freight system would also make a nice container for soaking in DNA as long as the plastic is not ruined by the DNA.

Jerry
Old 03-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Look for CraftMates Lockables. They have a bar you have to push from the end before you snap open the compartment lid to get the contents out of that compartment. Even if you fumble and drop it while opening it the bar closes back up to lock them so the contents stay inside. No hands and knee work looking for a bunch of lost bushings. Micheals, Amazon and others sell them. Best storage for bushings or any small items.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Look up:
Storehouse 68238 Toolbox Organizer with 4 Drawers
From Harbor Freight. I like them because of capacity (72) plus the area under lid and the ability to organize by individual case (up to 18 spaces) to pull out what you or move the whole box out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads