To keep your persimmon from wandering...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Tie it to a tree? There's a story behind this, perhaps doghouse will fill that in.

2005911173739_persimmonescape.jpg

BTW, this stuff is heavy, and FULL of water!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

The story is rather long, but I'll see if I can condense it. We (doghouse and I) took down a VERY tall persimmon tree on Sat. There were 3 logs (shown in pic) that we kept to mill, the rest is for turning (expect some very nice persimmon blanks for sale eventually). To remove the logs, we had to put them on my 5X8 utility trailer. I believe that we have found the upper weight limit of that trailer, BTW. To get them on the trailer, we pushed them end over end to the back of the trailer, then towed them on with john's truck. the last one took my legs out from under me, and nearly broke several of my necessary body parts. Needless to say, after that was all said and done, we were whooped puppies. So.... When we got to my place, we didn't want to empty them by hand, we tied them to a tree, opened the gate of the trailer (much the worse for wear by now), and I drove away, leaving three very large, and tethered logs on the ground. And there you are. It was a very exciting day.

Gary Max

I got some that was cut last month.
I resawed a 3 foot section into pen blanks.
They now kinda look like bananas---really twisted.
Kinda like what apple does.
Let it dry in board form before you try and sawing blanks.
I have the rest of mine sitting inside a trailer till next year.
You know that they call it American Ebony-----

Doghouse

Dave forgot to mention some of the fun parts...
1. Standing the logs on end and watching the pool of sap form as the log drained of water
2. Watching Dave run for lemon-aid to take the pucker out of his mouth from eating a nearly ripe persimmon.
3. Finding 2 large curley beech trees which are now marked for removal
4. Getting a new Deer hunting location
5. Shocking the daylights out of a homeowner by dropping a tree exactly where you said you would.

Dario

All I can say is if those generate wood similar to the ones we have here in Texas...then I am envious big time!!!.

I have a small piece at home and the diameters are probably from 4" down to 1". It is not so small at 6'-0" long but it won't generate too much nice wood. If the crotch areas do then I might get some nice ones since it is full of it.

The nearly ripe persimmon incident sounds funny.

The curly beech sounds very interesting...hope you guys get all the goodies [;)]...stay safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom