Just when I thought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I was really getting somewhere, I found this photo from 11/5/05! The old timer's will remember it well. It was the first time I saw the word "Pentarsia".

200511513251_One%20for%20giving%20004.jpg

RIP, Eagle. The bar is still above my reach!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I never got to see Pentarsia in person, but I was lucky enough to see and hold "The Old Rugged Cross" pen.

Eagle set the bar far above what I can ever aspire to.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Eagle set the bar far above what I can ever aspire to.

and you know that he'd crap on your head just for saying that...:wink:

but if you at least tried, then he'd graciously guide you the rest of the way till you got there.

He may not be around anymore, but he still guides me:biggrin:

ericw95

I think I became a member right before one of his last great debates on this site and I miss his talent. One of his simplest designs I plan to make for my graduation from grad school next spring. The toothpick pen has stayed in my mind since I first saw it.

dustmaker

I am relatively new here and never met this Eagle fellow, but I can tell from the posts that he was very well respected. The pen speaks for itself.

Daniel

I remember eagle posting some very early questions about just what segmentation was and that sort of thing. then in very short time started producing work like this that even though I see it I don't believe it. Amazing work and once you understood him an amazing man. But yes he would run up one side of you and down the other for thinking you can't do it. He always knew better. He also understood that it did not matter what he believed, it mattered what you believed. and the only way to change that was for you to prove yourself wrong. If you where willing to step up to that edge, he was more than wiling to give you a shove.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I feel that this pen is truly inspirational to all of us. It's hard to imagine that Eagle made this pen with only 15 months pen making experience.

The picture he worked from was created by his widow, Lynn. She still visits the forum from time to time to keep up with what's going on.

The pen uses natural woods that Eagle dyed himself. There is no Dymonwood", "colorply" or other pre-fabricated laminate. Each piece was individually cut and hand-placed. It took six weeks of love to complete.

rtjw

Gee, I wonder what ever happened to that thing? Hmmmm.

It helped a bunch of sick children.

And I have to live the rest of my life never getting to speak to eagle on good terms before he passed away. One of the biggest regrets I will have to live with. It is the most beautiful pen I have ever seen in my life.

OKLAHOMAN

Pentarsia........a true work of art that I can only wish I held in my hands. I feel so very fortunate that I was able to call the "Master" friend and have a few of his works of art in my private collection.

GaryMGg

Thanks for posting that Lou. Nice memories.
I believe that's clearly Eagle's finest pen, which is saying
a lot given the number of masterpieces he created and inspired.

Nickfff

Eagle was amazing with his work-an amazing penturning legacy. I remember him telling me that some of his stuff was inlayed and some was segmented. Was this inlayed? Is the design on one side or both sides? Did he mention any tips as to how he did this one?

BTW - I still remember the dinner at the Greek restaurant in Chicago with Eagle where he nearly had me falling on the floor from laughter-do you remember that Lou?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I think it was from that pen that I learned how to turn complicated segments. I could be wrong about that specific pen, but Eagle showed that or another similar in which he bound the pen with thread and CA'd it to keep it together until it was round.

Thanks for posting this - of a man who was ahead of his time!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I found two picts hidden in some folders that are Eagles. (One I know is, the other will need to be identified as such by you guys.)

The first pict - I know is Eagles. The herringbone, I am not 100% sure, but I think it is, since it was in the same folder. These picts were evidently taken in 2006 as noted in the name.

Attachments

• 2006_One for giving II 009.jpg
    2006_One for giving II 009.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 2006_herringbone finished 008.jpg
    2006_herringbone finished 008.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 135

glycerine

Holy cannoli, that herringbone is awesome! The first one there are really no words for because I can't even begin to try that yet, but the heringbone is at least something I can shoot for!

fiferb

I found two picts hidden in some folders that are Eagles. (One I know is, the other will need to be identified as such by you guys.)

The first pict - I know is Eagles. The herringbone, I am not 100% sure, but I think it is, since it was in the same folder. These picts were evidently taken in 2006 as noted in the name.

Lee, those are both Eagle pens. I remember holding them both in my hands when he came to my house. I used both hands so I wouldn't drop them. More beautiful work.

Daniel

It is a bit funny, but seeing a Herringbone pattern from Eagle has always seemed like a step backwards to me. I recall seeing one at one time and remember thinking. Ah man Eagle must either be taking a break or times have gotten him busy or something. no time to do anything but "Just" a Herringbone.

Top Bottom