just totally amazing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdoug5170

Hi all. Been lurking here for awhile, not really a poster...but...hey, the moment has come!

I started turning pens way back when there were only about 3 kits available, Slim, Americana, and whatever they were calling the roller ball and fountain pen system.

At one point, I had 3 lathes set up and my two daughters and I would gather in the shop, evenings and weekends to turn pens. They would load up the blanks, I would turn and finish and then they would strip and reload, assemble. We must have turned well into the high 100's of pens.

Then life got busy, girls got older...quit turning and sold off the lathes, concentrated on flat work. Have since sold off all that equipment also...sad day that was.

I have been unemployed for over a year now, I'm walking and standing challanged and finding it hard to find a desk job that I'm right for...and just seeing the advances that you all have made in the turned pen field...makes me hunger again to start turning.

Unfortunately, all I have left is my turning tools and a few large slabs of monkey pod.

So my request of you all....please STOP showing all these great pictures of really COOL and AMAZING pens! I can't afford the equipment to start up again.....:):)

I'm thinking that if we would have had the casting ideas back when, I might have never tired of making pens and my customers might have kept buying....

Very cool stuff folks! Congrats on bringing the beauty of the pen back.

Doug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

If you are ever up in Washington, let me know. You can turn a pen or two in my shop. I'm just a half hour north of Tacoma.

Scott

Hi Doug!

In your honor, I won't turn a pen tonight! (But I wasn't going to anyway!) [8D]

Welcome to IAP! Yes, things are much more exciting in penturning now-days! Keep those tools, and you may find yourself with a small lathe sooner than you think!

Scott.

winpooh498

Doug,
Welcome to IAP! If you are ever in the Eugene area and are aching to turn, let us know. There are several other Oregon members, I think someone mentioned setting up a get together.

Tom McMillan

Hey Doug!!! I'm waving across the Columbia River to you!!:D I'm over here in Washougal, WA. I started with pens in the early 90's. I can identify with the employment issues (mine were more age related), and finally started selling miniature turnings on EBAY and have made a very meager living--but, now have been able to be at least semi-retired with a little more stable income, but do continue with the minis and am trying to get back to some pens too. I moved from a huge shop (20 by 40) and sold off and gave to my son all my equipment at one time--I've since built a very small snop (5.5 by 12), but it works well for me. I use the little Shop Fox lathe which I got not far from you (had them special order it) at Parkrose Hardware--about $150 with shipping costs---but, I think Harbor Freight has a similar one that goes on sale once in awhile for less than $100.

Wow, I hope you can get a lathe and get to turning again!! There is a fellow here who joined a short time ago who made his own and he has a plan for it at his website---fairly simple---but it allows him to turn on a small budget.

Blessings to you my friend, or should I say neighbor!!

jdoug5170

Steve...thank you for the offer. I know Port Orchard well enough to know it is beautiful. My high school sweetheart lives there....and I really should get up to visit.

Hopefully a jet mini will show up on craigslist one day soon and I'll be able to play too....the PR stuff you folks are doing looks so cool.

Doug

Top Bottom