Just spoke to the sheriff - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

My best one was "IRS" called me; I didn't recognize the area code, so I looked it up. It was from Canada, 20 minutes later they called back and I accidently picked up. They went into the you owe, XXX money to the IRS, and a money order for xxx will. I stopped them and asked why the heck is the US IRS calling from Canada. Then the international quiet was on their end.
edicehouse is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I've been dealing with these type of calls for the past couple of years in my area. If it's not Officer Johnson at the IRS it's the sheriffs office with a warrant or someone telling you your grandson has been arrested and needs bond money - as a young man in the background says "grandpa don't tell dad". Then they want you to go to the local pharmacy and buy cash cards and give them the PIN numbers. Bottom line, don't ever pay anything over the phone.

There are a few computer scams in my area now where the public gets a popup on their computer that says Microsoft has detected a virus and it gives you a phone number to call. Then they lock up your system and charge you $300-$400 to unlock it. Some people have nothing better to do than think up ways to take your money.

Last edited by JohnU; 04-26-2017 at 09:08 AM.
JohnU is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
I use a service called NomoRobo which intercepts robot calls. I get about 2 a day. These are the "automated" callers and NomoRobo intercepts the call after the 1st ring.
OK, how do I get this? I got two calls about Publisher's Clearinghouse within 15 minutes. Got one phone number and gave it to the sheriff's department. However, these people change phone numbers constantly are hard to trace or they are from a foreign country. Yesterday, my wife saved a call from the IRS. I deleted the message but there was no phone number which is useless anyway. I have caller ID and look before I answer. Now they are using local cell phone numbers. To me, if it is important, they will leave a voicemail. Do Not Call is a joke.
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
New Member Advocate

Photos: 23

I have caller ID & voice mail. If it's a name or number that I don't recognize and they don't leave a message, we don't answer or return the call. It is annoying though - even though we are on the no-call list, we sometimes get as many as 10 calls a day.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchipper View Post
Quote:
I use a service called NomoRobo which intercepts robot calls. I get about 2 a day. These are the "automated" callers and NomoRobo intercepts the call after the 1st ring.
OK, how do I get this? I got two calls about Publisher's Clearinghouse within 15 minutes. Got one phone number and gave it to the sheriff's department. However, these people change phone numbers constantly are hard to trace or they are from a foreign country. Yesterday, my wife saved a call from the IRS. I deleted the message but there was no phone number which is useless anyway. I have caller ID and look before I answer. Now they are using local cell phone numbers. To me, if it is important, they will leave a voicemail. Do Not Call is a joke.
https://www.nomorobo.com

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chapter Steering Committee

If I get a call and don't recognize the number I don't answer. If it's important they will leave a message. If they don't leave a message I block them.

Wisconsin Chapter Leader

http://woodjunky.weebly.com/

My money talks to me, it says good bye.
A penny saved is a government oversight.
ssajn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Got a new one this morning. Local call and when I answered was told "This is TONY with SSI. That I had applied for social security and if this was true?" The next thing out of "Tony's mouth was "Can you here me?"

I froze and then replied. " I am here and did not apply for anything." He hung up.

I realize now I should have said nothing but we do get ingrained to reply to questions. Please, everyone, be careful.

"Don't go riding on that long black train."
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 52

I got one from a Minnesota area code once. Guy on the other end said his name was Wayne and that he was going to clean my shop for me!

Penturning - Its basically taxidermy for trees.
D.Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Oliver View Post
I got one from a Minnesota area code once. Guy on the other end said his name was Wayne and that he was going to clean my shop for me!

Be careful what you wish for. Someone else you are not expecting, could show up for lunch. (Give me a helping hand loading the trailer and 'cleaning out' your shop.)

Old 05-04-2017, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Tony called again twice today. This time it was a girl both times.

No, I still haven't applied for SSI.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads