Just spoke to the sheriff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

WARNING TO ALL MEMBERS.

I just spoke to my local sheriff dept. I had two automated phone calls today telling me that there was a criminal complaint filed against me. Talked to a deputy and they said that either an officer would show up at my door or a letter would come in the mail.

WARNING........This is a scam.

This is not the way you would be contacted. Please just hang up on any automated phone calls making such a statement.

Don't be fooled......this is a SCAM.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

liljohn1368

I've been called 4 or 5 times in the past few months. Said i was awarded a grant from the government. All I have to do is walk to my nearest western union and send them 200$. My first response is. Why would I walk? I have a car. Second is. I can't believe you get people to fall for this crap...

Terredax

Banned
Anything official will come through the USPS, and sometimes it will be certified and require a signature.

In the case of a complaint filed with the police, an officer will typically show up.

Also, there should never be a fee for a prize that is awarded. Some contests require a purchase of a ticket, entry, etc., but the only fees would be taxes in most cases, which will be collected by the government and comes along with a form to fill out.

Nothing is delivered through Western Union. Large transactions would normally go through a bank transfer or a certified check. These types of transactions also require paperwork.

Never give out crucial information i.e. social security numbers, passwords, account numbers, etc., to anyone over the phone or computer, unless you made the initial contact and are sure of the entity you are dealing with.
It's always best to take care of this in person, if possible. And get copies of the information discussed for your records.

There are a lot of terrible and rotten people just trying to take advantage of anyone possible. Be vigilant and most of all... Be SAFE.

stepping off my soap box

leehljp

Member Liaison
My land line and my two cells are on the "Do Not Call" registry, but that isn't working very well anymore.

I use a service called NomoRobo which intercepts robot calls. I get about 2 a day. These are the "automated" callers and NomoRobo intercepts the call after the 1st ring.

Lately, some companies are been "spoofing" phone numbers. When I see a local call coming it, I answer it, only to find that on occasion, it is not a "local" call. Yesterday, I got a call on my land line/home phone and the fellow asked, "What did you want?" (LOML and I had just walked in the house from a 3 hour trip.) I replied, "I didn't call you, I have been gone." He replied, "It is showing your phone number."

At that point I told him about the "spoofing" phone calls. Anyone got a way to stop "spoofing". It is kind of like bogus/virus email being sent with someone else's email address as the sender.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've had N0mo Robo on my land line for over a year now......love it. It intercepts all robo calls, and it's not unusual to intercept as many as 10 a day.
If it dos intercept a legit call, the caller is given a number to call to get through to me.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wayne... I'd hide if I were you! Dig a deep hole in your front yard, about 6' down, about 7' x 4' and get all hunkered in it... Maybe a nice "stone-like" indicator topside... I confess, I called the cops on you! Snowshoes are needed in Ohio! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

WIDirt

Robo Calls...

Hi all,

I actually work for the largest telecom in the industry. Robo calls are illegal, (unless from a registered politician, and we all need more of those, right....), as well as, impossible to stop. They are usually dialed by a computer, and if you answer, your number is added to a list that is sold. Ever get a call from a strange number and as soon as you answer the call is disconnected?

The vast majority of them come from Nuie Island (Yes, that is spelled correctly) and Vanuatu. Also, Russia, Monrovia, and a couple of other locations. In the case of the first two, more than 80% of the countries income (as of around 1999, which is when I left the billing dept) comes from these calls and 900 numbers. Telecoms are unable to block these because they cannot block the entire country's systems.

The company, (you all know who it is, but I am not allowed to say) is working on a roboblocking system, but it is still in its infancy, though they say they have blocked over billion of them in the last couple years. If they've blocked a billion, how many are actually made?!

For now, we are stuck with them.

Just be aware, and make sure you pass on to all your friends, loved ones, and anyone else who will listen, to never, ever, say "yes" to any telemarketer, live or otherwise, anymore. There is evidence that these calls are recorded, chopped up, and put back together, having you say "yes" to any number of things that can cost you your money, your credit, and other things.

Forewarned is forearmed.

WIDirt

Herb G

The local news had stories on spam calls recently.
Not 2 days after it was on, I got a "Yes" call.
I hung up. If you get a call & someone says they are from
customer service, hang up.
My call went like this.

Hello.
This is Erin from customer service. Can you hear me ok?
Hang up. Do not say a word.

They tried it on my Mom too. She hung up too.
This is no joke.

jttheclockman

I screen all my house calls. If they do not leave a message I do not worry about it. If it is a number I recognize I pick up or if it is someone I want to talk to and they left a message I will get back to them. Any of these sheriff or state police or any law enforcement calls get no attention from me. If they want me they know where I live. Even then you have to worry because of all the impersonators today. I do not bother with IRS calls either. All scams. I am starting to get sales calls on my cell phone. I thought that was illegal.

edicehouse

My best one was "IRS" called me; I didn't recognize the area code, so I looked it up. It was from Canada, 20 minutes later they called back and I accidently picked up. They went into the you owe, XXX money to the IRS, and a money order for xxx will. I stopped them and asked why the heck is the US IRS calling from Canada. Then the international quiet was on their end.

JohnU

I've been dealing with these type of calls for the past couple of years in my area. If it's not Officer Johnson at the IRS it's the sheriffs office with a warrant or someone telling you your grandson has been arrested and needs bond money - as a young man in the background says "grandpa don't tell dad". Then they want you to go to the local pharmacy and buy cash cards and give them the PIN numbers. Bottom line, don't ever pay anything over the phone.

There are a few computer scams in my area now where the public gets a popup on their computer that says Microsoft has detected a virus and it gives you a phone number to call. Then they lock up your system and charge you $300-$400 to unlock it. Some people have nothing better to do than think up ways to take your money.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I use a service called NomoRobo which intercepts robot calls. I get about 2 a day. These are the "automated" callers and NomoRobo intercepts the call after the 1st ring.
OK, how do I get this? I got two calls about Publisher's Clearinghouse within 15 minutes. Got one phone number and gave it to the sheriff's department. However, these people change phone numbers constantly are hard to trace or they are from a foreign country. Yesterday, my wife saved a call from the IRS. I deleted the message but there was no phone number which is useless anyway. I have caller ID and look before I answer. Now they are using local cell phone numbers. To me, if it is important, they will leave a voicemail. Do Not Call is a joke.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have caller ID & voice mail. If it's a name or number that I don't recognize and they don't leave a message, we don't answer or return the call. It is annoying though - even though we are on the no-call list, we sometimes get as many as 10 calls a day.

leehljp

Member Liaison
OK, how do I get this? I got two calls about Publisher's Clearinghouse within 15 minutes. Got one phone number and gave it to the sheriff's department. However, these people change phone numbers constantly are hard to trace or they are from a foreign country. Yesterday, my wife saved a call from the IRS. I deleted the message but there was no phone number which is useless anyway. I have caller ID and look before I answer. Now they are using local cell phone numbers. To me, if it is important, they will leave a voicemail. Do Not Call is a joke.

https://www.nomorobo.com

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
If I get a call and don't recognize the number I don't answer. If it's important they will leave a message. If they don't leave a message I block them.

stonepecker

Got a new one this morning. Local call and when I answered was told "This is TONY with SSI. That I had applied for social security and if this was true?" The next thing out of "Tony's mouth was "Can you here me?"

I froze and then replied. " I am here and did not apply for anything." He hung up.

I realize now I should have said nothing but we do get ingrained to reply to questions. Please, everyone, be careful.

D.Oliver

I got one from a Minnesota area code once. Guy on the other end said his name was Wayne and that he was going to clean my shop for me!

stonepecker

I got one from a Minnesota area code once. Guy on the other end said his name was Wayne and that he was going to clean my shop for me!

Be careful what you wish for. Someone else you are not expecting, could show up for lunch. (Give me a helping hand loading the trailer and 'cleaning out' your shop.) :rolleyes::biggrin:

I got a notice in the mail today that there was a class action suit against a company that was doing automated calls and calling the no-call list as well as those not on the list.. supposedly there was a $3.7M settlement, just waiting for the federal judge to approve...

vtgaryw

I've been plagued by junk calls for years now, but I'm really annoyed now that they've been spoofing numbers to look like calls right from the town I'm in.

A few months ago, I started answering calls that I'm suspicious about in Spanish. It shuts them right down quick when I ask "hablas espanol?" I've yet to find a foreign call center where the operator speaks Spanish. I'm hoping it's actually helping to get me *off* of lists, as I've actually seen a decrease in calls.

I figure if I start getting operators who speak Spanish, I'll switch to French or German.

-gary

1080Wayne

I've been plagued by junk calls for years now, but I'm really annoyed now that they've been spoofing numbers to look like calls right from the town I'm in.

A few months ago, I started answering calls that I'm suspicious about in Spanish. It shuts them right down quick when I ask "hablas espanol?" I've yet to find a foreign call center where the operator speaks Spanish. I'm hoping it's actually helping to get me *off* of lists, as I've actually seen a decrease in calls.

I figure if I start getting operators who speak Spanish, I'll switch to French or German.

-gary

Like your approach . Application of a bit of US WW 2 history might be even more effective .

tbroye

I used to get them all the time but I would call the number and argue with them just for kicks aor string them along. Same with the Microsoft Tech's The IRS one is good they are real fun to play with, my grandson has even talked to them. I know many people fall for it and that is especially the seniors. I wonder if they have system the rotate through because it seem ever year or two I get a lot of them.

If you get a phone and the ask if you can hear them hang. If you answer yes you will be billed a large sum of money on your next phone bill. If you don't pay it the phone company will after you. I think the phone company pay first the comes after you.

Last edited:

sbwertz

I have a set of Panasonic cordless phones...five handsets in the set. They have a dedicated "call block" button right on the handset. One push and the number is blocked. And they can store 300 numbers. I LOVE it when the phone rings once and "call blocked" shows on the display!

Top Bottom