Just spoke to the sheriff - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Casual Conversation
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Casual Conversation Off-topic, general chat.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Just spoke to the sheriff

WARNING TO ALL MEMBERS.

I just spoke to my local sheriff dept. I had two automated phone calls today telling me that there was a criminal complaint filed against me. Talked to a deputy and they said that either an officer would show up at my door or a letter would come in the mail.

WARNING........This is a scam.

This is not the way you would be contacted. Please just hang up on any automated phone calls making such a statement.

Don't be fooled......this is a SCAM.

"Don't go riding on that long black train."

Last edited by stonepecker; 04-25-2017 at 05:21 PM.
stonepecker is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 62

I've been called 4 or 5 times in the past few months. Said i was awarded a grant from the government. All I have to do is walk to my nearest western union and send them 200$. My first response is. Why would I walk? I have a car. Second is. I can't believe you get people to fall for this crap...
liljohn1368 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 64

Thanks for posting this.
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2017, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Anything official will come through the USPS, and sometimes it will be certified and require a signature.

In the case of a complaint filed with the police, an officer will typically show up.

Also, there should never be a fee for a prize that is awarded. Some contests require a purchase of a ticket, entry, etc., but the only fees would be taxes in most cases, which will be collected by the government and comes along with a form to fill out.

Nothing is delivered through Western Union. Large transactions would normally go through a bank transfer or a certified check. These types of transactions also require paperwork.

Never give out crucial information i.e. social security numbers, passwords, account numbers, etc., to anyone over the phone or computer, unless you made the initial contact and are sure of the entity you are dealing with.
It's always best to take care of this in person, if possible. And get copies of the information discussed for your records.

There are a lot of terrible and rotten people just trying to take advantage of anyone possible. Be vigilant and most of all... Be SAFE.

stepping off my soap box
Old 04-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

My land line and my two cells are on the "Do Not Call" registry, but that isn't working very well anymore.

I use a service called NomoRobo which intercepts robot calls. I get about 2 a day. These are the "automated" callers and NomoRobo intercepts the call after the 1st ring.

Lately, some companies are been "spoofing" phone numbers. When I see a local call coming it, I answer it, only to find that on occasion, it is not a "local" call. Yesterday, I got a call on my land line/home phone and the fellow asked, "What did you want?" (LOML and I had just walked in the house from a 3 hour trip.) I replied, "I didn't call you, I have been gone." He replied, "It is showing your phone number."

At that point I told him about the "spoofing" phone calls. Anyone got a way to stop "spoofing". It is kind of like bogus/virus email being sent with someone else's email address as the sender.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Group Buy Coordinator

Photos: 13

I've had N0mo Robo on my land line for over a year now......love it. It intercepts all robo calls, and it's not unusual to intercept as many as 10 a day.
If it dos intercept a legit call, the caller is given a number to call to get through to me.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 317

Wayne... I'd hide if I were you! Dig a deep hole in your front yard, about 6' down, about 7' x 4' and get all hunkered in it... Maybe a nice "stone-like" indicator topside... I confess, I called the cops on you! Snowshoes are needed in Ohio!
Wadsworth, Ohio, OH 44281
Like the Midwest Penturners Gathering Facebook Page for all current information!
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-25-2017, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Robo Calls...

Hi all,

I actually work for the largest telecom in the industry. Robo calls are illegal, (unless from a registered politician, and we all need more of those, right....), as well as, impossible to stop. They are usually dialed by a computer, and if you answer, your number is added to a list that is sold. Ever get a call from a strange number and as soon as you answer the call is disconnected?

The vast majority of them come from Nuie Island (Yes, that is spelled correctly) and Vanuatu. Also, Russia, Monrovia, and a couple of other locations. In the case of the first two, more than 80% of the countries income (as of around 1999, which is when I left the billing dept) comes from these calls and 900 numbers. Telecoms are unable to block these because they cannot block the entire country's systems.

The company, (you all know who it is, but I am not allowed to say) is working on a roboblocking system, but it is still in its infancy, though they say they have blocked over billion of them in the last couple years. If they've blocked a billion, how many are actually made?!

For now, we are stuck with them.

Just be aware, and make sure you pass on to all your friends, loved ones, and anyone else who will listen, to never, ever, say "yes" to any telemarketer, live or otherwise, anymore. There is evidence that these calls are recorded, chopped up, and put back together, having you say "yes" to any number of things that can cost you your money, your credit, and other things.

Forewarned is forearmed.

WIDirt
WIDirt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 13

The local news had stories on spam calls recently.
Not 2 days after it was on, I got a "Yes" call.
I hung up. If you get a call & someone says they are from
customer service, hang up.
My call went like this.

Hello.
This is Erin from customer service. Can you hear me ok?
Hang up. Do not say a word.

They tried it on my Mom too. She hung up too.
This is no joke.

My lathes:

Floor Lathe
Bench top lathe

Herb G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 68

I screen all my house calls. If they do not leave a message I do not worry about it. If it is a number I recognize I pick up or if it is someone I want to talk to and they left a message I will get back to them. Any of these sheriff or state police or any law enforcement calls get no attention from me. If they want me they know where I live. Even then you have to worry because of all the impersonators today. I do not bother with IRS calls either. All scams. I am starting to get sales calls on my cell phone. I thought that was illegal.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads