Is it just me???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Is it just me or is anyone else finding the loading of this site to be slow??? I would say in the past 2 weeks I have noticed this site to be really slow in loading for me. No other site that I visit and that includes Google and Bing searches load as slow. Now i am using DSL but that has never been a problem before. I switched to Firefox about 2 or 3 months ago and things were flying. The speed was great and could not believe I did not do that sooner.

I would like to know if there is something I can do to increase the upload speed??/ What could cause this?? Where should i begin to look??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I'm getting the same problem yesterday and today, but it is intermittent. Sometimes the site flys and then all of a sudden a page will just partially load and then stop for a while.

Ed

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have not noticed it, and I pay very close attention :biggrin:

There are some scheduled tasks that take a lot of horsepower to execute, but those run at US night time.

Are you noticing the issue on all pages? Have you verified that your connection speed is ok? Like here?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting the same problem yesterday and today, but it is intermittent. Sometimes the site flys and then all of a sudden a page will just partially load and then stop for a while.

Ed

Interesting. I'll check with the data center and see if there is a bigger issue.

healeydays

I'm flying. When was the last time your machine was given a tuneup?

Not sure what that is. Change the oil every 3000 letters:) Why is it just this site???

Oh Lordy, what have I done? Folks, you do need to do some maintenance on your machine just like giving a car an oil change or a tuneup.

What kind of machine are you using, what operating system and what are you using for security software.

Here is a good basic tuneup article.

Get Organized: Tune Up Your PC (Part I, for Beginners) | PCMag.com

jaywood1207

I have not noticed it, and I pay very close attention :biggrin:

There are some scheduled tasks that take a lot of horsepower to execute, but those run at US night time.

Are you noticing the issue on all pages? Have you verified that your connection speed is ok? Like here?

Does one of those tasks run between 5:30am and 7:00am EST? I always find it very slow in the morning while browsing and sometimes just stops. Lately I have noticed it at various times but I don't recall what time of day that was.

jttheclockman

I'm flying. When was the last time your machine was given a tuneup?

Not sure what that is. Change the oil every 3000 letters:) Why is it just this site???

Oh Lordy, what have I done? Folks, you do need to do some maintenance on your machine just like giving a car an oil change or a tuneup.

What kind of machine are you using, what operating system and what are you using for security software.

Here is a good basic tuneup article.

Get Organized: Tune Up Your PC (Part I, for Beginners) | PCMag.com

I do defrag. I clean out files. I run antimalware software, I run avg security software. I throw out the trash in the recycle bin. So yes i do some things. Now I have not been on this site for quite some time and just recently started jumping in on a few things because my shop time is nill and i am bored. But I would say in the past 2 to 3 weeks this site has slowed down for me. Some times I can not even get a page to load. Just now it started running fast again and i flew through the forums. So i believe it is not my machine but i could be wrong and i do not know what to look for. I understand at nights things slow down when everyone gets home from work and schools and with dsl that slows things somewhat but this is too much. This morning I could barely get anything to load here. But like i said now things are moving again.

Jeff go kick the guy that is putting the coal in the engine. Maybe he fell asleep.:)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
One thing I have noticed over the last week or so, is that the scrolling (touch screen) function on my Kindle is very slow and often jerky. Not sure if it's related, but it only seems to happen here.

jttheclockman

I just came back here to read Skips reply and it took about 45 seconds to load. Something is not right. When I left things were flying again. It will take some time for this to load now.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked at performance statistics for the last several hours and I see nothing that would indicate it's a problem on our server. There's a lot of hardware between the server and you, and it's not unusual for a router along the way to be slowing things down. I'll continue to watch it.

Ed McDonnell

I don't think it is IAP related. I just had Pandora quit for a minute or two because my connection had become too slow (dropped to zero).

I've checked all the gear on my side (modem, router, pc) and everything is fine. I suspect there is something going on in the network. Maybe there is a server somewhere with the measels? Maybe the Pats have figured out some clever new internet related way to cheat tomorrow and their testing is borking the internet on the east coast?

I would call Comcrap (my isp) to ask about it but I know they would just tell me to call someone who cares. My route to IAP goes through NY/NJ, so that may be part of my problem.

Ed

Last edited:

magier412

Sometimes, rebooting your machine is helpful...it'll clear out the flash memory. It can get "clogged up" with and make things run slowly sometimes. In general, it's good to reboot once a week (including smart phones) just to clear out the cobwebs :)

Another thing to try is rebooting your router. :)

GaryMGg

There are numerous devices between each of us and Jeff's servers and the weather can be a factor affecting relays.
Packets get dropped all the time; if a device is working poorly BUT above some threshold so as not to trigger a failure, it'll slow the traffic to its recipients.

jttheclockman

This is really strange. It took over 1 minute to get to this page. Any other site I go to there is no problems. I constantly am on ebay and it flys through there. Rebooting does not help. If it were an outside thing why does it not happen with other sites??? Well it looks like even less times I will be here. Oh well. So be it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
This is really strange. It took over 1 minute to get to this page. Any other site I go to there is no problems. I constantly am on ebay and it flys through there. Rebooting does not help. If it were an outside thing why does it not happen with other sites??? Well it looks like even less times I will be here. Oh well. So be it.

John

It might make no sense, but a problem in a router can affect a very small number of people.

I spent two hours looking for anything that could be wrong and I found nothing. I am really sorry, but at this moment it doesn't look like it's a server problem.

Jeff

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
There are numerous devices between each of us and Jeff's servers and the weather can be a factor affecting relays.
Packets get dropped all the time; if a device is working poorly BUT above some threshold so as not to trigger a failure, it'll slow the traffic to its recipients.

Between 2001 and 2005 I ran an ISP providing internet via 800MHz wireless to a rural area. I had a couple clients who were regular eBayers and could not get pages to load reliably. It practically took an act of God to convince my upstream providers that this was a real problem, but I finally did. Turns out there was a router about 10 hops away from my system with a misconfiguration. I was actually on the phone with the technician when he fixed it, and like magic we were again at full throttle.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
John, if you know how, you could try a traceroute from you to the server and see if there's a hop along the way that's slow.

Here is a good tutorial on how to use Traceroute

jttheclockman

John, if you know how, you could try a traceroute from you to the server and see if there's a hop along the way that's slow.

Here is a good tutorial on how to use Traceroute

Jeff
Thanks for looking. I will read this link but I am not computer savvy at all. I tried everything I could think of here. I cleaned the cookies out. I defraged, ran my malware and virus programs. So I am at a loss and i can not deal with this so I will step aside once again and maybe something will free up or there may be a time in the day that will not be so slow. If it is a router thing then not anything I can do. It is strange that it happened so fast and today was at its all time worse. Just to get to this page it took 3 minutes. This is the only site this is happening on. I saw your other question so to keep me from trying to get on that page you basically know my situation. DSL, Firfox. As far as changing anything I will leave that for others.

Thanks again

Dale Allen

John, I have the same problem. Sometimes I just give up and try again hours later.
If it did it on a consistent or regular basis I could set my notebook next the the desktop and try them both at the same time. I still may try that to see if it is the computer, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom